Chapter 1

Many children my age look forward to going to school. They enjoy seeing their friends, learning new things and getting away from their families. That is what most kids like, but I Scarlet Romanoff hate school. I attend Marvel Elementary School in New York, along with all the other children whose parents would rather save the world than spend time with their kids. School starts in a few hours and all my Mom can worry about is keeping her motorcycle clean. What is so good about an automatic bicycle anyway? Just because it's fast and expensive, doesn't mean that it is more important than your own daughter. Sometimes I wish that my Mom was just a regular human and not an Avenger. Being a superhero was overrated.

While I sat at the kitchen bench and thought about how much I hated school, I realised that Mom was no longer in the kitchen. She was probably defending her motorcycle from some sort of monster. That definitely wouldn't be anything new. When would superheroes learn that their jobs are not the only thing in the world. As I looked around I spotted the empty glass and bottle of milk that Mom said she would pour me. It was just like usual. Something more important than me would pop up and I would be left alone to handle my own problems. How many seven year olds have to make their own meals every single day? I know that I am one of those few unlucky children.

I took it upon myself to pour a glass of milk so I could actually have something for breakfast. The milk was heavy and I spilt it all over the bench while trying to aim for the glass. I lay a towel over the top of the spilt milk to cover my mess while I gulped down my glass. After that I returned the milk to the fridge and rinsed my glass out, leaving it in the sink to dry. I made my way to the bathroom, on the look out for my Mom as I walked down the hall. There was no sign of her and I wasn't really bothered to search around the house.

My little, dark purple toothbrush sat beside the sink, with a small tube of bubblegum toothpaste nearby. I quickly brushed my teeth, humming a small tune as I went. The sink was soon covered in little puddles of water and the odd bit of spit. I just used a towel to wipe everything up, before wiping my milk moustache with my sleeve. Now all I had to do was get changed and find my Mom. Most of my toiletries and clothes were still in suitcases, since I wasn't bothered to unpack after last year. Everything sat in my bag for over a month. By now it would probably be covered in dust and have a family of spiders living in it.

My closet only had a few options and I went with the usual white shirt, leather jacket and some black jeans. It was never too hot for jeans and leather. Especially when it was the only decent thing in your closet. Everything else was in my suitcase that I was leaving zipped up until I find my dormitory. I slipped on some black knee high boots and zipped my jacket up. Now I was ready to leave. All I had to do was find my Mom and try to survive the two hour long helicopter ride to get to school. Every year I am late because of that helicopter. I will be happy when Mr Stark finally realises that his technology is not good enough to fly without a pilot. Every time I have to watch Mom play around with the controls until she can regain control of the helicopter. It was funny the first time but now it is just annoying.

"Scarlet, are you there?" I could hear my Mom making her way down the hallway. Just the person I was looking for. I swung one of my bags over my shoulder and grabbed hold of my suitcases handle with my other hand. My Mom's wavy, red hair came into view and I gave a small. It was kind of nice seeing my Mom these holidays. If only I could go on missions with her and live here everyday of the year. Except that wouldn't happen in a million years. Mr Stark and Director Fury would never let me be part of the Avengers.

"Hey Mom. Just about to bring these over to the helicopter," I was about to walk out the door when my Mom blocked the exit. Why would she do that? It was very unlike Mom to do that. It was also very unlike her to visit my room at all. She only came to see me if she was leaving the house for a mission or if I did something wrong. They both seemed to happen quite frequently, but those visits are only for a brief few minutes. Then I get left alone with my thoughts. That never really ends well.

"We aren't taking the helicopter. I have a mission, so Fury is coming to pick us up in the Helicarrier."

That was even worse than a self flying helicopter. That meant that all of the Avengers would be on board, which also meant that their kids would be wandering around. Nothing could be worse than a ship full of superheroes taking you to school. Why can't Mom just bring me to school in a car like normal parents? Wait I know the answer to that. She is the complete opposite to a normal parent. If she were normal I wouldn't be attending Marvel Elementary. Boy how I hate that school.

"Scarlet, are you coming?"

I realised that I had just frozen on the spot. Holding my bags and staring at the ground. I actually felt pretty dumb just standing there like a statue. How stupid could I be?

"Yeah I just need to fix my hair," I ran my fingers through the dark brown mess on top of my head. It really needed fixing. I dropped my bag and suitcase before looking at my hair in the mirror. I gagged at the sight of the nest on my head. If I went to school like this I would be called 'bedhead' for the rest of the year. I couldn't be stuck with that nickname all year. It was bad enough being called 'The Assassin' the last two years. That will probably stick with me my whole school life. Lucky me.

"We'll fix it onboard. Fury is a few minutes away," I sighed and walked away from my mirror. Mom picked up my bags and left me to pull my suitcase along. I shut the door behind me and headed for the elevator. As usual I pressed the level 2 button and we went straight up to the helicopter landing that was on top of our house. Now all I had to do was wait for the Helicarrier to arrive and then brace myself for the ride.