Gray Skies

Please, please, please review. It is honestly my favorite thing in the world. For Narnia and for Aslan!

Susan froze. Her heart had longed to hear the question tumble out of Lance's mouth for such a long time. What do I do, Aslan? Please give me wisdom.

"Susan?" Lance looked up at her nervously. "Are you going to answer, my sweet?"

"My dear Lance," Susan started, unsure what she was going to say. "I hoped that one day I would be your wife." Lance smiled with triumph, as if he had just won a game. "However, we cannot wedd, at least not yet."

He frowned deeply, and opened his mouth to speak, but Susan hurried on. "You see, I would marry you this very night if I could, but you must get the High King's permission and blessing first." He frowned deeper. Aslan, please. Susan reached for his hand. "Will you do that for me? Please, my love. Then we can be together."

Lance paused for a moment. Then he leaned forward and kissed her on the cheek. "I would go to the ends of the earth for you, my queen." His sweet and doting smile turned into something vicious. Susan did not like the evil gleam in his eyes. "I shall write to him at once."

"I am glad," Susan responded sweetly. "Maybe they will have news of Lucy." Oh Aslan with everything going on, I have not prayed for her in a long time. Please be with her and keep her safe.

Lance sighed. "My dear, I am afraid I have received news from your brothers earlier this day."

Susan's heart froze. "Truly?" she asked cautiously. "What did they have to say?"

Lance pulled her in tight and hugged her. "They sent word of your sister' s death." Susan broke free, her mind reeling. He is lying. That cannot be true. As if reading her thoughts Lance added, "Here. Read the message for yourself."

Susan grabbed the folded note in his hand, and opened it. This was Peter's handwriting. He could not have forged it. Susan let out a cry of agony and fell to the ground in a heap of sobs. "Hush my dear." Lance lowered himself and wrapped his arms around her.

Susan screamed in her mind. The man who had to do with my little sister's murder is trying to comfort me! Aslan, why? Why did you let her die? Why did you leave me on my own? Why are you allowing us to go through this?! "We must send the army at once," Susan said. She looked him in the eye. At this moment Lance would have to lock Susan up in the dungeons to keep her from doing what her brothers asked of her.

"Of course! Your sister's death must be avenged." There was another knock at the door. "Enter."

Merrick, one of Narnia's finest knights, slipped inside. When he saw Susan on the ground in distraught, his hand initially went to the hilt of his sword. "I heard a shout. Is everything alright your majesty?"

"I-"

"She is in despair, Sir Merrick. I am afraid we have received the news of Queen Lucy's death." Merrick's eyes darted back to Susan, looking for confirmation. All Susan could do was nod. It still was not real for her. "You should escort the queen back to her chambers, Sir Merrick. She is not well. Then, you shall lead the armies to the Green Falls where High King Peter and King Edmund await. We shall avenge the little girl's death."

Merrick stared daggers at Lance. "Queen Lucy the Valiant was no little girl. She was a fierce and strong Lioness; an unstoppable force that was to be reckoned with."

Something behind Lance's eyes clicked. "Sir Merrick," he said, his voice cool as ice. "I am afraid Narnia's enemies would disagree with that statement. It appears, to our dismay, that she was able to be stopped." With that Lance marched to the door, a small parchment slipping from his pocket as he walked. "I shall leave you in Sir Merrick's capable hands, my dear. Until we hear news of our wedding." The door slammed shut behind him.