Forgiveness

His roar is a gentle kiss
His battle cry is true pure bliss
When Aslan's paws strike ground
His love and mercy abounds

Susan sang quietly, her voice silver. With her eyes closed the tune trickled up into the air. The serenity of Cair Paravel's gardens and the ancient hymn swallowed her whole. She was at peace as her hands danced across the strings of the harp.

Two hands came out of nowhere and gently covered Susan's eyes. She smiled. "Hmm I wonder who it could be. The cook? Mr. Tumnus?"

A tsk sound came from the hidden figure. "You wound my heart greatly my queen!" The man released her and Susan flung around to stare into the eyes of the man she loved.

"Lance! Why a lady could be terrified by such a deed!" She tried scowl at him but ended up bursting into giggles."Is there something you wanted?"

Lance smiled. "Yes, as a matter of fact there is my queen. Do you know where the Captain of the Guard is? I wish to speak to him on the matter of our latest prisoner."

Susan frowned. "You mean Dolphus. I told you I don't believe he will be any trouble. Why did we lock him up? He wouldn't have came to help us unless his heart had changed. Do we not owe him another chance?"

Lance reached out his hand and caressed her cheek. "You're too compassionate for your own good. My little queen, you must allow a man to take care of this matter. It is not a job for a woman."

Susan jerked out of his reach, having no trouble scowling now. "Oh? So a woman is too weak to handle difficult subjects. Am I nothing more than a pawn in man's game then? Am I nothing more than a prize to be won?" Susan tried hard to level her voice. Lance had never spoken to her in such a condescending way before. He had said he had always admired her for her strength and wits as well as beauty and kind heart. "Is there anything else you wanted?"

Before he could respond she was halfway to the door. "Susan!" He called after her. But she was too mad to give him a response.

I'll deal with Dolphus myself. Susan began the journey to the dungeons. Upon Lance's request she had given her word that she would not speak with the man, but with this fury in her heart all memories of promises were gone.
Susan turned and climbed down the stone stairs to find a guard waiting at the bottom.

"Your Majesty!" The man quickly stood and bowed low. She smiled sweetly at him.

"Good sir, you must be very weary of being in these dreary dungeons all day. Go up to the kitchens and tell the cook to give you something special by my order."

The guard shifted hesitantly on his feet. "I should probably stay down here and look after the prisoner, but if you insist..."He raised his eyebrows hopefully.

Susan nodded her head in the direction of the kitchen and he took off. Susan made her way past the cells. At the end of the dingy corridor Dolphus sat behind bars, his back to her. "I have come to receive the answers to my questions, Dolphus. If you give me the answers that I seek you will be removed from the dungeons and given a guest room."

Dolphus leapt towards the cell door, causing Susan to stumble backwards. "You must run Your Majesty! Get as far away from Cair Paravel as you can. You are in great danger." He stared at her with crazed eyes from behind the bars.

Susan calmed her breathing. "Whatever do you mean? Why am I in danger?"

Dolphus swallowed and looked from side to side. "There is a traitor. A man who is on the side of King Jerez to overthrow your family and kill you all if he gets the chance."

Susan held her breath unsure if she wanted to know who it was. "Who?"

Dolphus closed his eyes. "It is the wicked man who locked me up here. The one who holds your heart gently in one hand and will easily crush it with his other."