Chapter Six: Bonding

I turn the hot water all the way on and step in. I could melt right now but it feels so good on my muscles. I stare at the white ceiling. Everything in the entire room is white except for the red beds. It looks nice but it can be blinding. Even the towels are white. Snapping out of my thoughts I wash my hair, face and then my body. I stand in the water for a little bit longer before shutting off the water and grabbing my towel. I towel dry my long dark hair, before drying the rest of myself. I go to the sink and brush my teeth before staring at myself in the mirror. I pull the bag sitting on the counter toward me. Opening it I see a pair of colored contacts on top. I take the brown contacts and attempt to put them in. It takes a hot minute before I have one in.

My eyes hate me from holding them open for so long trying to get the contacts in. It took 15 tries to get one in, and even more for the second. Next I pull my hair into a messy and put my undergarments on. I focus on my makeup next; doing foundation, powder, blush, contour, highlight, eye shadow, eyeliner and mascara. I brush my hair and pull it into a tight side bun.

Peeking out of the door to see the room completely empty I tiptoe to the closet and see a white bag hanging on the back of the door. I unzip the bag earning a groan and eye roll from me, it's a black halter top dress with a slit in the side.I pull the dress out and put it on. I find myself struggling with the zipper. I'm startled by warm hands over mine and the zipper going up.

"You're back." I say trying my hardest to keep my voice neutral when I'm really fighting for breath.

"I got your shoes." He says stepping back. I turn around and my breath catches in my throat. I'm pleasantly speechless at his attire. The classic black and white suit fashioned with a bow tie really does suit him well. He has his hair styled back and sleek. It looks really good on him. The only thing that sticks out is his hand. His silver metal hand that he must have been clutching for it to be as warm as it was, sticks out like a sore thumb.

"Thank you." I say taking the box from under his arm and opening it. A pair of open toed black heels. I put them on and walk around in them to get used to the feeling. I walk over to my holstered pistol and strap it to my leg. It's too bulky to carry.

"Here take this one, it's smaller it'll fit better with your dress." He says handing me a sleek holster with a smaller pistol in it.

"Thanks. Do you have gloves? For your hand I mean."

"Yes." He says shortly. And we're back to this again.

"You look really nice." I say offering a small smile to him to make up for my thoughtless comment.

"You do too." He says opening the door for me. I step out and look at the red carpet of the hallway while I turn to wait for him. He closes the door and pulls his gloves on before offering me his arm. I slip my arm through and we walk toward the elevators.

"You know you're much kinder when you're not in kill mode." I say as we wait for the elevator to reach our floor.

"When I first wake up from whatever they do to me, I just do things without thinking. The longer I spend away from it all... I mellow out I guess. I usually don't have missions where I'm gone for longer than two or three days." He confesses to me.

"It shouldn't be like that partner." I say giving his arm a small squeeze.

"We don't have a choice."

"I know." I say as the elevator dings and opens for us. We step in and just before the doors close someone steps in. I look up to see a man with nice facial hair and warm brown eyes. He looks rich and he's got something glowing in his chest.

"Almost missed it huh." I say to the new man.

"Yeah that would have been unfortunate. The name is Tony Stark." He says extending a hand.

"Juliet and this is Ivern." I say gesturing to the assassin beside me before shaking his hand. 

"Where are you off to?" He asks turning to me.

"A party, close by." I reply looking at the numbers to see what floor we are on. Third floor, almost there.

"Oh really? Me too." He says turning toward the doors.

"Well maybe I'll see you there then."

"Maybe." The doors open up and Mr. Stark gets out. I move to follow but I'm stopped in my tracks. Mr. Stark turns around confused. "Are you coming?" He asks.

"I forgot my purse." I lie and laugh at myself trying to really sell it. Luckily the doors close before he has time to reply. I turn to my partner and tilt my head up at him.

"He's with SHIELD." He says gruffly. Oh, well that would have been nice to know a little while ago.

"Oh well that's... is the whole organization here or something? I mean how many is that so far? Four?" I say getting frustrated, this mission keeps getting complicated.

"It doesn't matter, the mission will be over soon." He says staring at the doors.

"You think you'll remember me next time we meet?" I ask glancing at him out of the corner of my eye.

"I don't think I could forget you. After all, how many times do you meet a ghost of someone you killed?"

"Well this ghost has a heartbeat so I'm not all ghostly." I tease as the doors open once again. We step out into the loud lobby casino area and head toward the door. He opens the doors for me and as we step out into the night air he holds his arm out again for me. I take it and we cross the street to the where the party is being held. You can hear the music from outside the building. Inside is going to be hell for me and my enhanced hearing.