Chapter 1 - Athena

PLEASE READ FIRST!

[Author's Note: Hi. So this is the sequel for my first book and if you are reading this still, then cheers to you since you are sticking up until now. And I guess you have forgiven me for the huge cliffhanger of the first part. Thank you so much for that.

Just a heads up, a lot had happened since the last scene of the story. Don't be shocked. This will be made up of Athena and Nate's POVs with the present time and flashbacks eight years ago back in their highschool years.

Also, the italicized parts denotes the past and the normal script denotes the present. Enjoy.]

_____________________________________________________________________________

Athena Vanderbilt POV

I could tell something bad was about to happen. It's like intuition—or like the way animals knew how to howl before a great storm. It was kind of irrational and yet I felt it. It's a nagging feeling at the back of my head for quite some time now.

But for the thousandth time, I asked myself "What could possibly go wrong?"

I was just declared graduate minutes ago. I graduated the top of my class. I received my letter of acceptance from Stanford several weeks ago. My family was complete now, more than I ever thought it could be. I've got the best boyfriend in the world.

Everything was perfect.

But it didn't feel like it.

Why did I sense this distressing feeling? It felt like an impending doom was about to occur any moment.

I was broken from my reverie when Nathaniel Van Warner slammed into me for a tight hug. I was brought back to reality by the loud cheers of my classmates. I barely noticed I'm in the middle of a celebrating crowd. At the very least, I felt the impact—we were really officially out of high school now.

"Congratulations, warden. Your speech made me proud." Nate whispered to my right ear as we walked together hand-in-hand to find our families in the crowd. I turned to look at him and smiled, "Thanks. Congrats to you too, Nate."

His face broke into a wide smile. He stopped walking and so did I. He was deeply looking into my eyes that even I in my anxious state had to acknowledge that intensity. The way he looked at me was different. It's full of love and adoration and something else transcendent.

And you know what I found alarming?

I got terrified of the look in his eyes.

He slid down on his knees. He was still holding my right hand with his, and he was smiling very brightly at me. My heart started pounding in my chest. I thought I knew what he was about to do. My head was whirling. My heart leaped in joy at the mere thought but at the same time, I get the unexplainable dread in my chest.

I'm not ready for this...

            "Nate." I said his name with an unspoken warning in my eyes. I can feel all of my senses on alert. My anxiety was skyrocketing. "Please don't do this."

            He gave me the crooked smile I knew so well. "Warden, chill. Don't mind the people. It's just you and me, remember? It's going to be quick and easy and it will be the most memorable part of our lives." He said nonchalantly. Everything always sounded better than they actually were.