I bit my lip and glanced to the shop window beside me and my eyes alighted on a neon flyer.

I stopped, our linked arms making Jules jerk to stop too.

“Ow! What?” She snapped.

“Laser tag?” I suggested, grabbing the flyer.

Jules’ eyes lit up. “Let’s shoot some things.”

I used my phone to guide us to the venue, which happened to be a good few blocks away.

“How big is Hobart anyway?” I panted, as we rounded yet another corner.

“There it is!” Jules said, pointing at the dark shop front, sandwiched between two dull coloured shops.

We went inside.

The front was deceptively small, as the foyer and then the laser tag area sprawled out for a fair way.

We booked yourselves in for a game, were told the rules, put on our jackets along with the other participants (mostly pre-adolescent children with a couple of dads and a few teenage boys) and were let loose in this massive, dark metallic mayhem.

Jules and I were both on the blue laser vest team and I generally followed behind Jules as she sprinted throughout the venue, shooting her ‘gun’ at anyone who appeared, whether they were in our team or not.

Finally, the lights went on and the lasers stopped working. We were all ushered out into the foyer and handed back in our vests.

“Again.” A red-faced Jules panted.

We played another three rounds until Jules gave in.

At my gentle suggestion, we wandered around until we found a small sandwich shop.

I bought us some sandwiches and water and we continued to walk aimlessly until we found a small park.

The park was oddly quiet, despite the heat of the day.

We sat on the bridge that arched over the lake, dangling our legs through the bars. I collected some stones scattered around in arm’s length and sat quietly, resting my elbows on the planks as Jules chucked the stones angrily at the pond.

I waited it out, knowing that (like always), Jules’ anger would end and she would break down, cracking that exterior she showed other people.

And when she did, when she folded over and sobbed, I was there to catch her, just like she had for me so many times in the past.

I let Jules cry onto my shoulder and I didn’t speak, just let her cry her anger and sadness out.

When she finally pulled away, sniffing, my pocket vibrated.

Frowning, I pulled out my phone.

Luke Calling

I ignored the call and slipped my phone back.

“Do you want to talk about it?” I offered.

A part of me was a little afraid. Jules had always been my tough, ass-kicking rock, and to see her break over something like a boy, felt odd.

Jules shrugged. “Sorry ‘bout that.”

“Jules, c’mon. How many times have you picked me up when I’ve been hysterical? It’s fine! It’s good! This is what best friends are for.”

Jules gave me a watery grin. “Look at you, all mushy and stuff. All loved up.”

Her voice faltered on ‘love’.