Chapter 1.

Chapter 1.

"Kiera, can you look after your sister for me?" my mother's voice came from the bathroom where she was currently doing her make up.

I sighed with defeat and continued checking my emails. My mother was a brilliant woman who struggled as a single mum at the age of nineteen after my father passed away, leaving her alone to look after me. I really loved her but she had the habit to date a different man every other week.

She was currently getting ready for her second date with a guy that she met at the bar she's working. I was not against my mother dating, she was young after all. But my little sister was only seven and I was the closest mother figure she had because our mother was busy with work and her love life.

I closed my old, almost broken laptop and got up to look for my sister. She was probably playing with her dolls now and it was time for a snack.

"Sofie," I yelled, walking towards our small kitchen. With any luck, there should be something that she would eat.

I opened the fridge and groaned when I saw that it was almost empty. Of course, mum never went shopping for groceries and I was so busy studding for my exams so I forgot about it. Now we only had some tomatoes and a little cheese.

God, sometimes I hated my life. I had to visit the grocery store if I wanted to make a snack, let alone dinner.

I was about to yell for my sister again when she walked in with our mum following her. Our mum, who was a beautiful woman with pale skin and blond hair, was wearing a skirt a little too short for her and an equally revealing shirt that made her look like a prostitute. This attire was the one that she was always wearing when she wanted to earn extra tips at the bar.

"I thought that you were going on a date," I said, eyeing her clothes with disapproval.

Her answer was a carefree shrug and a "I'm going to work afterwords".

"But you said you would play with me," my sister whined, her chocolate eyes filling with tears.

Mum gave her a kiss on the cheek and smiled a little guiltily. "I'm sorry honey, I will play with you tomorrow," she said. "Now stop pouting and give me a kiss".

Sofie sighed like she was the parent who had to forgive a naughty child, and gave mum a kiss. I watched the exchange, feeling frustrated. I wanted Sofie to be able to have a normal life. This little girl with her brown curls and chubby cheeks was the most important thing in my life. It was because of her that I decided to go to university, so I would be able to make more money and give her a better life.

After that exchange mum left with a guy who looked like a gagster and I was left alone with Sofie, so I decided that we should go to the grocery store before it became too dark outside.

That was how, half an hour later, I was searching frantically for my little sister. I had taken my eyes off of her for a split second and she was gone. Just like that, she had disappeared from the store's parking lot.

I was running around, shouting her name with rugged breathing and tears in my eyes. How could she disappear in the time that it took me to unlock my car? Why wasn't I more careful? Why was I always so damn stupid?

I run out of the parking lot and I was about to scream when I caught a glimpse of her red jacket from the corner of my eye. I turned around so fast that I almost fell and run towards her direction. As soon as I saw her my all blood drained from my face.

She was standing on the side walk talking with a tall man. I didn't recognize him and I prayed with all my might that he was not about to snatch her away, because from what I could see, he was huge.

"Sofie," I yelled and hugged her close to my, trying to catch my breath.

She was okay. I knelt there for a moment, hugging and when I felt that she was truly okay, I looked up at the man who was watching us silently.

He was breathtaking. I didn't think that anyone could be so handsome that they would steal my breath away but he was. Tall, with dark olive skin and dark hair pulled back in a way that should look old fashioned but they actually managed to look really sexy on him. His black, stylish suit making him even sexier. This man was seriously sex on legs.

I stared at him for a minute before I snapped back to reality. What was I doing? He could be a child molester for all I knew.

"Who are you?" I asked, trying to sound calm.

The man gave me an amused look and smiled a little too devilishly for my liking. "I am Dante," he answered with a slightly Italian accent. "I found this little girl wandering around on her own and was about to help her find her sister, who I assume is you"

Suddenly, I felt silly for being so paranoid about the man but who could blame me? He was a stranger and I was not so naive as to think that everyone had good intentions.

"Yes, I'm her sister," I said trying to avoid his amused eyes.

I stood up, taking Sofie's hand in mine. "Well, you shouldn't be here alone with your sister after the sun sets," he said as he turned his back to us, "because there is a big bad wolf that's wandering around in this part of the town".

I shivered at his words, for some reason believing in what he said, and couldn't help but wanted to flee. So that's what I did. I started walking towards our car as fast as Sofie could, wanting to put some distance between us and the man.

By the time we got home, it was dark outside and after lecturing Sofie, I begun making dinner.

The whole time, I couldn't seem to forget the handsome man and his warning.

-----------------------

Hey everyone. I hope that you liked the first chapter. The idea for the story has been stuck in my head for so long and I finally get to write it.

I hope you enjoyed. Leave a comment and vote if you liked it. Thank you for reading.

Picture is of Kiera!