Chapter Twenty-Two

I wake when it's still the middle of the night, feeling Xavier tossing and turning beside me. He's dripped in sweat and the blankets are tangled around him.

"Don't touch me" at first I think he's talking to me, then I realize he's dreaming.
"Mum!" He calls out and I panic. He's having a nightmare.

"Xavier!" I shake his shoulders and he gasps, sitting up so fast I barely have time to move out of his way. His chest rises and falls so quickly as he pants and he looks like he could be sick. His skins much paler than normal.

"It's okay" I whisper, he flinches slightly when my hand touches his shoulder before he relaxes into my touch. "It was just a dream."

"I'm sorry for waking you" He whispers quietly. He refuses to make eye contact with me as he walks towards the bathroom.

I follow him, standing against the doorway as he leans against one of the sinks, splashing cold water against his face and closing his eyes tightly.

When he finally meets my gaze I frown, his dark eyes seem so uncertain and dazed, it makes him look younger than he is.

What happened to you Xavier?

He stands a few feet away from me, like he doesn't know what he should do. Every muscle of his body is tense and he stares at the floor before looking up at me again, quickly stepping forwards and wrapping his bare arms around me tightly.

"It was real" he whispers, still clinging to me with his head resting against my neck. "It was a dream but it happened. I keep reliving it over and over again."

My heart breaks as my hand rubs his back, feeling the risen scars under my fingertips as he walks us backwards to the bed.

"It's okay now" I tell him, lying on his chest as his arms lock around me again. "Nothing can hurt you here" my fingers run slowly through his hair, his hearts still pounding against his chest as he pulls me ever closer to him.

"Grace"

His voice is a tired mumble against the skin of my shoulder.

"Mhm"

"I love you."

"I love you" I whisper, my lips touch his cheek as I lean my head down against his shoulder.

What happened to him?

*

When I wake up the next morning the bed beside me is cold, Xavier's been gone for a while, it's nearly 9.30 so it doesn't surprise me.

Me. You. Mason. Pauls Pizza at 11, love from your lesbian lover xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I roll my eyes as I type back my reply to Arnicas text, pizza sounds perfect right now.

I wriggle around as I pull skinny jeans on and throw a sweatshirt over-top, walking down stairs as I pull my converse on my feet.

Noah and Xavier are both standing in the kitchen, only in loose shorts and sneakers. They're both sweaty and I have to avert my eyes down to the shoes I'm trying to tie.