Chapter 3

Chapter 3

New York, 1920

Over the course of the next few months, Joseph and Lillian continued to court. All seemed well between the two. Lillian was starting to like Joseph. Unfortunately, her happiness cost her the friendship that she has had for over ten years; William Bates.

William and Lillian rarely exchanged eye contact with each other. Even Grandmother noticed the falling out of these two friends. She never mentioned it to Lillian, for she was afraid that William and Lillian would become close again. Grandmother couldn’t let that happen! Lillian had to marry Joseph Clark; she just had to. If she married William Bates, Lillian would be disgracing the Jones family name, not to mention she would be marrying a lower-class man. Grandmother thought she was doing the best for her son’s daughter.

One afternoon, Lillian was in the carriage with Joseph. He was talking about his sister, Clara. He was mentioning that Clara did the inevitable; she cut her hair.

“She says it’s called the ‘bob’ style,” Joseph explained.

“And what did your parents think about it?”

“My mother was shocked. She actually fainted. My father didn’t say anything; although, his face turned a bright red.” At this, Lillian giggled.

“Did she do anything else that was barbaric like the haircut?”

“Yes, she stared wearing this outrageous dress. It’s a lot shorter than the Victorian dresses that women wear.”

“What did it look like?”

“It was olive green and there was a lot of lace.”

“That sounds interesting.”

“Oh yes it was. Actually, her best friend Florence was also wearing the same type of dress. I think a lot of women will start wearing clothes like that.”

“Well, people are happy that World War I is over. They should be able to celebrate, within reason.”

“And I agree, but Clara and Florence don’t know where their place is anymore. It’s not just what they look like; it’s the way they’re acting. I walked into Clara’s room the other day and she was smoking.”

“Oh my goodness, you aren’t being serious?”

“Oh but I am being serious. She was smoking.”

“Oh dear, this isn’t good.”

“No it’s not. May I ask you to promise me something?”

“It depends on what it is.”

“Will you promise me that you won’t wear that clothing?”

“I promise.”

“May I also ask another question?”

“Sure.”

“Lillian Jones, will you become my wife? I know that we have only been courting for about four months, but I love you.”

Lillian stared at Joseph. They have not exchanged those three words before. As for the marriage proposal, Lillian knew that she should accept. It was her duty to her grandmother and it was part of the woman’s place. After all, wasn’t part of this conversation about women staying in their place?

“Well, I am, um…” Lillian tried to speak.

“I know this is very sudden, but I just love you so much and I want to spend the rest of my life with you.”

A Lady Never Tellsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें