Chapter 3

“Abby...Are you ok?”Alec asked me. I looked up as I felt him place his hand on my shoulder comfortingly. I gave him a small smile and slight nod of my head, but he didn’t look convinced, “Abby, I can tell you’re lying to me. Don’t do that. You know how much I hate it.”

“I know... I’m sorry...” I dropped my head down and my bangs hid my eyes as the first of many tears fell. I just stood there for a minute and cried silently before pressing the heals of my palms to my eyes to cease the tears that flowed almost incessantly.  As I looked back up, my soft, clear-as-water, blue eyes met Alec’s dark-as-cobalt, blue ones. He gave me a reassuring smile and then hugged me tightly. I returned his embrace with just as much force. It felt great to be hugged by him again. I’d really missed it.   

“Here for barely over an hour and you’re already in tears. What’s up with that? It’s been four years since I’ve seen you. We should be laughing and having one hell of a time right now.” he smiled at me.

When I let go of him and took a small step back he ruffled my hair, “Hey! Not cool man! My hair is bad enough as is. I soooo don’t need you to make it any worse.” I smacked his hand away and looked back at Clary, “I am so sorry about that... It’s just like... That’s the first time it’s really hit me that they’re gone and I hadn’t cried over it yet so I just kind...exploded I guess.” I smiled sheepishly at her.

She walked over to me and gave me a hug, “It’s fine. My mum’s only missing and I’m a complete mess, so I can only imagine how you’re feeling right now.” she let go of me.

“Thanks. You know, you seem pretty cool for a should-be mundane.”

“Should-be mundane? What do you mean?” she looked at me with a slightly confused expression.

“You should be a mundane, but you’re actually one of us.”

“Oh... I see...”

“Yeeep.” I heard the doorbell ring, “FOOD!” I shouted and bounded out of the kitchen to go answer the door. When I came to a stop in front of the huge double doors I quickly fixed my hair and checked my make-up. You never know if the pizza delivery guy is gonna be a cutey after all. When I opened the door I was pleasantly surprised. The boy holding my pizza was pretty tall, looked about maybe 5’11”, which compared to my 5’3” is pretty damn tall. He had black hair that looked almost blue under the moon light, bright green eyes, snake bites, the body of a dancer, and perfect creamy white skin. He’s pretty gorgeous, “Hey there.” I smiled at him.

“Hey.” he handed me the warm box of pizza. The smell wafted up to my nose and made my mouth water. Boy am I starved, “So that’s gonna be fifteen dollars even.”

I set the box on a small end table and started digging around in my pockets for the cash, “Sorry, I forgot which pocket I put it in...” I said and continued my search.

“Don’t worry about it. You’re cute enough that I don’t mind the wait.” he gave me a smirk.

“Oh really? Thank you. You’re not too bad looking yourself. In fact... You’re pretty hot.” I pulled a crisp fifty dollar bill out of my pocket and handed it to him, “Keep the change.”

“You sure about that? That’s one hell of a tip.” He looked down at me with surprise written all over his well defined features.

“Totally. I’ve got no use for it.” I smiled him and took a pen out of pocket, “And here’s my number. You should give me a call some time.” I wrote down my seven digit number on his arm and put the pen back into my pocket.

“You know, I think I might actually call you back.”He winked at me a turned around to go back to his car. I shut the door quickly and fell back against it.