Chapter 2

When Jace and I got back to the kitchen Isabel was already on the phone with the Chinese restaurant ordering everyone’s dinner. When I waved at her she told the guy on the other line to hold on and she put her hand over the receiver, pushing it away from her mouth slightly.

“What do you want Abby?”

“Well I went vegetarian last year and I hate Chinese food so I think I’ll just order myself a pizza when ya’ll are done.” I said as I sat down on a stool at the counter. I propped my elbows on the counter top and held my head in my hands comfortably.

“You did what now?!” she looked at me completely shocked.

“I’ll tell you about it after you get off the phone. We don’t want to make the nice person on the other end of it wait too long.” I smiled.

“Fine fine...” she went back to her phone conversation and ordered everyone else’s meals. Once she was finished she handed the phone to me and I ordered myself on large cheese pizza from the best pizza place in town. After I hung up Izzy was instantly interrogating me about my vegetarianism. “So why the hell did you go off and become a vegetarian?”

“Well I mean... I’ve always loved animals and I completely believe in animal rights so I just found it hypocritical to have that kind of mind set while being a carnivore. So at the beginning of last year I gave up meat. And it’s not like I ate it a whole lot anyways so it really wasn’t that difficult to give it up.” I explained casually. I knew they were going to be surprised, but I didn’t think it was all that shocking.

“Oh... I see. But that’s cool. You know, you really standing up for what you believe in and all. I’m proud of you.” she smiled at.

“Really? Thanks.” I returned her smile and then remembered the boy who had been there earlier. Though he seemed to be gone now, “So who was that boy who was in here with you before? He was a mundane. Why was he at the institute? One is weird enough, but two of them being here is just unheard of.”

“Oh, that was Clary’s friend Simon. Jace brought him back as well. Though I’m not sure why. He’s got nothing special about him. He’s just an annoying ass teenage boy.”

“But Clary is special?” I asked confused. I didn’t sense anything different about her.

“Yeah, turns out she’s not a mundane. She’s actually one of us...”

“A Shadow hunter? You’ve got to be kidding me. How is that possible?”

“That’s what we’re all trying to figure out here. It doesn’t make sense, but it’s true. Jace gave her a mark and it-” I cut her off right there.

“You did what now?!” I asked jumping up from my seat and spinning around to face Jace, “You know what that could have done to her if she was human. What the hell were you thinking?!”

“Look, I had a gut feeling...”

“I don’t care if you had a gut feeling! What if you ‘re gut had been wrong?! You could have really hurt her, or killed her, or even worse, caused her to become a forsaken!” I shouted at him. I can’t believe he would do something like that. He knows how dangerous doing something like that is.

“Look, I ended up being right so stop freaking out. She’s fine. And she wouldn’t have become a forsaken after only one mark, so don’t be so dramatic. At most if would have given her a painful burn.”

“It doesn’t matter... That was a stupid risk to take... I mean really Jace. What were you thinking?”

“I was thinking that the risk of her getting a small burn was better than what might have happened to her if Valentine’s goons had gotten a hold of her.” He stared at me with an intent look on his face.

“Oh...” was all I had to say. What else could I say? I had no argument against that. I just stood there for a moment and carefully examined my shoes to avoid eye contact with him.

“That’s what I thought.” he said and turned his heal before walking out of the kitchen, “Call me when the food gets here!” we heard him shout from a good distance away.

“So...Clary, is it?” I looked over at the unfamiliar redhead.

“Yes.” she nodded, “That’s me. Who are you?”

“The name’s Abigail. Abigail Grey, but you can just call me Abby. Don’t call me Abs though. Only Jace gets to call me that.” I stuck my hand out for a shake and she starred at my hand a bit before returning the gesture  with a light squeeze.

“It’s nice to meet you Abby.” she smiled at me.

“Nice to meet you also Clary. So where did you happen to meet this lovely lot of people whom I call my extended family?” I asked sweetly.

“Oh, I met that at this new club called Pandemonium. You see, I was there with Simon when I spotted this guy who was a demon, but I didn’t actually no that yet... He was acting kind of suspicious so I started to follow him and I saw him pull out knife. I kept pointing him out to Simon, but he said he couldn’t see him. He trusted me anyways though and left to go find security. He told me to wait, but I never really listen to him so I continued to follow the demon. When I finally found him these guys were beating the crap out of him. I didn’t know he was a demon, it’s not like I knew they existed, so I tried to stop them. Obviously my attempt failed and they ended up killing him. So yeah... That’s how I met them...”

“Wow, sounds pretty eventful. Wish I could have been there. I love all the action. I’ve gotten really good at fighting skills since I’ve been locked away for so long. My parents really trained me hard. They were so scared about Valentine. They put me through hell and I hated them for it at the time, but now that I know what kind of danger I’m in I don’t even know how I would begin to thank them if they were still alive...” I trailed off. The fact that my parents are dead has finally sunk. There’s a hallow feeling in the pit of my stomach and I almost want to cry, but I fight back my tears easily, this is something I’ve also come to master.