This Love is Unrequited, are You Amused?

My auburn hair fell into my crystal blue eyes as I stared out the window of the cab. I didn’t bother to move them. They still allowed me to see, and kept my face hidden. I watched as the people of New York hustled and bustled to get to their destinations; some in such a rush that they crossed the street before it was their time. They dodged the many moving cars in an expert fashion; it almost looked as if they were doing an intricate dance with the passing vehicles. They were quite fast for mundies, I must say, I’m impressed. As the cabbie pulled up to the institute I handed the money I owed for cab fare, grabbed my luggage, and walked up to the old gate, where I paused.

How long has is been since I last came here? Four years, maybe five. I know I was still very young, not that I’m all that old even now; I’m sixteen and a half. Though my childish personality is the same, my looks are not. I’ve gotten taller, filled out more, though no all that much, grown my hair out, and changed my style. I no longer where the tight fitted tops and hipster jeans that are oh-so-trendy. I now were baggy jeans that are held up with a faux leather studded belt, band tees, and baggy sweatshirts. I wonder if the others will even recognize me. I’m fairly positive they will, however it may require a second glance.  

I hit an imaginary ‘play’ button and and continued with opening the gate, it creaked reluctantly. I closed it behind me and walk into the old church. It hadn’t changed a bit, still exactly how I remember it. I kept on walking down the desolate hallway until I found Church, who was curled up in a little ball in the corner. I knelt down and stroked his back gently to wake him up. “Hey there old buddy, will you take me to Hodge?” I asked sweetly. The gray cat stood up in response and stretched his stiff limbs. He began trotting away and I followed after him. He stopped in front of the library. I laughed quietly at myself and shook my head at my stupidity. I should have known this is where he would be.

As I went to push the huge double doors open I heard muffled voices coming from the other side. When I finally had gotten them open I saw Hodge, Alec, some red head I don’t know, and then my eyes land on him, Jace. At least I think it’s Jace. I knew for sure that it was him as soon as I saw his golden, thoughtful eyes. Wait...Oh no, I’ve been spotted. The look on his face was confused at first, I assume he’s trying to figure out who I am, and then it hit him and the look changed to one of realization. I cleared my throat to get the others attention. When they all turned around to look at me I gave an awkward smile with a wave to match, “Hey there guys. Long time no see, aye?” There was a long silence before Hodge decided to brake it. “What are you doing here Abby?” he looked concerned. “Well...funny story about that.” I trailed off with a nervous laugh. “Spit it out Abigail.” That was Jace, he sounded angry, and it hurt when he used my full name instead of the nickname he had given me so many years ago. “Ok, jeez. My parents died and I didn’t know where else to turn.” I stated matter-o-factly. They all gave my incredulous looks, “Alright, so it’s not that funny, maybe actually a bit more tragic, but it is what it is. How about one of you show me to my room now? I’ve had a really long trip and I could used some shut eye.” I said with a yawn. “Of course, Jace, you take her.” Hodge ordered. Jace glared at him, but still, he complied and started out the door. I didn’t follow right away, I just stood there staring at him as he walked away, wondering when he got so buff. I mean, he’s never been small, but those new muscles of his are ridiculous. “Are you coming or not?!” He shouted at me. “Coming!” I called as I grabbed my bag and ran after him.

The walk was long and silent. I could tell he was mad at me, but why? When the tension got too great for me to bear I decided to ask him. “So what’s with the cold shoulder, Jacey-kins?” I used my old nickname for him and he glared coldly at me. Great. His walls are back up. The vary walls that I had worked my ass off for a year to break down. We had gotten so close and now it seems that we were back to square one. “So, what? I leave for a few years and you’re back to hating me?” I paused to see if he might talk, but he didn’t, so I continued, “You know it’s not like I wanted to leave. My parents forced me. You know that. Don’t you remember how childish we acted when they came to take me away?” I took a step in front of him so he would stop walking and listen to me, really listen, “The day that they came to get me I hid underneath your bed for hours hoping that they would give up and move on. You even pretended to not know where the hell I was when they asked you.” a small smile played on my lips at the memory, and I saw the ghost of one on his, “After they found me and took me away they banned me from talking to anyone outside of our home. Not because they were angry with me, but because they were protecting me.” The look in his amber eyes softened, but was still hard as he spoke for the first time. “Protecting you from what?” I looked down and closed my eyes, “They were protecting me from the man who ended up being their murderer... Valentine.” “Why did he kill them?” “I don’t know and I don’t want to talk about it. I want to talk about you and me, so listen. I understand that you’re angry. I could have given you some sort of warning, but it’s not completely my fault. So those walls that I broke down, I can see, have been built back up. I’m going to break them down again. I can, by the Angel, I promise that I will break them down once more.” The next thing that happened shocked me. Jace was hugging me. Being in his embrace, suddenly everything felt okay. “You’ve just made a small crack Abs, but that’s all you’re getting right now.” “That’s all that I need right now...Jacey-kins.”

When we finally reached my bedroom we stood in front of my door for a while, just in a comfortable silence. “Well, I guess this is my stop. I’ll see you later.” I kissed his cheek and closed my door. As soon as I set my things down I flopped on the neatly made twin bed and close my eyes, instantly falling into a deep slumber. About an hour after I had fallen asleep there was a knock at my door. I opened my eyes and groggily walked over to the door, glaring at it before pulling it open. And now standing before me was Alec, my best friend. “Hey babe, what’s up?” I grinned at him, hoping with every fiber of my being that he wasn’t angry with me like Jace was. To my delight, he wasn’t, and he returned my grin. “Hey Abby.” he leaned against my door frame. “So you’re not mad at me?” I asked hesitantly. “No, I know you probably had a good reason.” At this I jumped up and wrapped my arms around him in a tight embrace, “Thank you babe, thank you so much! You have no idea how much I’ve missed you. I swear I’ve been a pathetic mess. And so lonely, I haven’t seen anyone my age since I left you guys. I have so much to tell you, but first I want to hear about you and what’s been going on while I was gone. Like who’s the red head?” Alec’s face immediately fell. “That’s Clary.” he spat, “She’s some new Shadowhunter that Jace found. Her mom was kidnapped by Valentine and now we have to help her get her back.” “Oh, I see. So let me guess, this Clary girl is beginning to fall for our little Jacey-kins and you’re jealous?” “Kind of...” Alec sighed. “Well don’t worry hun, you’re way hotter and I’m sure a hell of a lot nicer than this girlie.” I laughed and sat down on the edge of my bed, which now looked well slept in and is going to stay that way. I can’t stand a super neat and tidy bed. It feels so foreign to sleep in. “That doesn’t matter. Jace is straight after all, but still. It just bugs me, you know?” “Oh, I know hun. I know exactly what you mean.” I reached out and rubbed his back soothingly and rested my head on his shoulder, “But you know, there is always the chance that he is just a closet gay who’s extremely good at hiding it and ignoring his true feelings. Maybe he’s really madly in love with you but is too scared to admit it so he flirts with every breathing female he lays eyes on.” that earned a small chuckle for the dark haired boy, “Now come on babe, you woke me up and now I’m hungry. Time to go see what kind of poisonous concoction your sister is cooking up and we’re gonna have to get out of.” I stood up and dragged him into the kitchen.

There was yet another person I didn’t know standing around Izzy. No surprise there. He’s a teenage boy and she’s a beautiful girl, I can tell he’s not really all that in to her so I wonder what that’s all about. I didn’t give it a second thought. I just walked over to her, “So Izzy, are you trying to make dinner tonight? Cause I’m gonna tell you this now, it would save us all a lot of trouble if you would just let us order out.” I looked at her grinning. The look on her face changed from shock to joy in an instant. “ABBY!” She dropped the spoon she was using to stir what ever she was making to pounce me. She tackled me to the floor in a bear tight hug. “Can’t...breathe...” I choked out and felt her grip loosen. “Oh, sorry.” She got off of me completely and helped me up. I looked around the room, “Where’s Jace?” “I don’t know. Probably in the weapons room.” Izzy shrugged. “Ok, I’mma go look for him. I’m sure he’s starting to get hungry. If I remember correctly that boy is a black-hole. A very cute black hole, but a black hole none the less.” I shook my head and left the room.

As I entered the familiar weapons room I took a look around and saw Jace working on one of the Angel swords.

“Hey there Jakey-kins.” I greeted as I walked over to him and leaned across the table.

“What do you want?” he looked up at me, slight annoyance playing on his well defined features.

“Don’t give me that look mister. I know you don’t like being disturbed while you’re in here, but I think you can forgive me seeing as how I was coming to see if you want food.”

“Oh, well if that’s the case you should have just said so.” He gave me a small, boyish smile that I couldn’t stay annoyed at.

“Yeah, yeah, what ever. Just get your ass to the kitchen cause we’re ordering in.”

“Ordering in? But I thought I saw Izzy cooking...”

“And she was, but I told her straight up that no one likes her cooking and she’s just wasting her time. Now come on. I’ve freaking starving and we all know how I get when I’m hungry.”

“Right...Let’s go.” he put his sword away and walked with me back to the kitchen area.