"It's not working," Squirreltail murmured, his eyes round with fear.

"It has to!" Silverleaf objected.

Icestar cut off the two siblings. "Of course it is going to work, you shouldn't become frustrated after the first try. Perhaps we have to dig Skypelt out . . ." He observed the surroundings, wondering what he could use to help pull out the senior warrior.

Bloodpaw stepped before all the MoonClan cats, his ears angled forward. "I have an idea." The rest snapped their eyes toward the young apprentice, and he pointed his ears backward before turning his head. "This has happened before when I was a DarkClan kit. But look," he stated, observing the pine forest behind them.

Icestar looked as told, and he saw hills as tall as a tree, covered in more trees and vines that were turning green from the changing season. He wondered what Bloodpaw was getting at.

"Look at what?" questioned Sharpfang with impatience.

"We could tie those vines around the tree Skypelt is on, tie it to another tree, and uproot that other tree to lift this one." He stared at the group. "When one tree falls, the other will lift, if they're at least the same size."

Interested, Icestar asked, "How would you uproot a tree?"

"Most trees in the territory are loose anyhow!" he pointed out. "Maybe a heavy push will do. If anything, we could dig a bit."

"But some other cat can get crushed—" Amberpaw pointed out.

"And it could take too long," continued Silverleaf, cutting off the apprentice she-cat.

Icestar shook his head, interested in Bloodpaw's proposal. "No, this could work."

"Well, we cannot just stand around!" snapped Sharpfang, already trotting up the hill. "Talking won't help Skypelt. Let's get this over with."

"And quick!" pointed out Squirreltail, following the deputy. Icestar looked at Skypelt, who's eyes were closed with pain. He swiftly gave his friend a promise that he would help him out, before running up the hill as well with Bloodpaw and Silverleaf. Amberpaw stayed behind, a bit frustrated, by the side of Skypelt.

By the time Icestar reached Sharpfang and the others, Bloodpaw had already pointed out a tree good enough that could do the job. Its wood was dark and thick, but it moved ever so slightly at the touch of the wind. Its roots were just as loose as the tree that hit Skypelt, so he knew it would work for sure.

"Next, we've got to find the perfect vine," explained Bloodpaw, as he looked around in the treetops. Every cat scanned the naked branches budding with tiny leaves, hoping to make out the perfect vine. It was not until Silverleaf gave a yowl of delight.

"Look, there's the perfect one!" she exclaimed, pointing with her tail. "Icestar, if you could throw one end to us, Sharpfang and I could tie it. Squirreltail and Amberpaw can work on the other end with the other tree over there."

Icestar nodded with approval. "Well done. Everyone, get in to positions. Bloodpaw, come with me."

Icestar leaped onto the nearest tree with Bloodpaw by his heels. Their eyes were on a vine hung overhead. It seemed to be long enough to reach both trees, and hopefully thick and strong enough to lift the heavy weights. Icestar was proud of Bloodpaw for coming up with such a great idea to prove to MoonClan his worth, and he was as well proud of Silverleaf's good eyes.

He hauled himself up a nearest branch with strong forearms, and scrambled up. The branch swayed a bit at his weight. For a moment, he was completely still in fear of falling, but when he felt reassured enough to go on, he leaped to the next branch and unsteadily hooked his claws into the bark. I won't fall today, he thought. Not with Skypelt still in pain!