5. Susurrus

Sera

Steam flew from the coffee machine as I flipped the lever, assaulting my lungs. I reared back, gasping for air as I accidentally inhaled and choked. Pain surged through my lungs and I found myself bent over the counter, unable to keep myself from coughing. The customer behind me gasped and asked if I was okay, and I heard someone run over to me.

"Sera! Come away from there, come on," Tia murmured, her hand on my shoulder as she steered me away from the steam and into an empty booth near the counter. She rolled her eyes. "If you're not ready to start work again, you should go home. The boss would understand."

I shook my head. "I'm sick of being at home. I need to be useful."

My best friend sighed. "You stay here, I'll sort out your customer."

I nodded, and she wandered back over to the register as I recovered.

"Sorry about that," I heard her say, "the poor girl was at the theatre the other day when the explosion happened, she had a bad case of smoke inhalation – she's not quite over it, but she'll be fine. The steam must've set her off. Would you mind repeating your order?"

I sighed, leaning my head against my hands.

I needed to get myself together. After the hour it took to convince Thomas and my mother that I was well enough for work, there was no way I was leaving my shift early.

Slowly, I pushed myself up using the table for support, and made my way back behind the counter. I positioned myself away from the coffee machines, behind the pastries counter, and plastered a smile on my face.

"How can I help you today?" I asked the woman who had been waiting.

"Three caramel slices pleas—oh, wait. Can I get four? My daughter's in hospital at the moment, I'm sure it would cheer her up."

I smiled. "Of course! Is she alright?"

The woman's smile faltered. "She got caught in the explosion." She said softly. "Burns to about a third of her body..." The woman shook her head as if to clear it. "Did I hear your friend say you were there too?"

I nodded. "Nothing too bad for me, though. Just a bad case of smoke inhalation. I'm not quite over it, but it doesn't hurt to speak anymore, so I must be on the mend." I told her as I retrieved her slices and placed them in paper bags. "That'll be $18, thanks."

She handed me the money, but paused before taking the slices. "Could I ask you a favour? It may seem a little odd, but I'm not sure what else I can do."

I raised my eyebrows. "Sure, go ahead."

"Would you come and see my daughter in the hospital sometimes? I think it would help her to... you know, talk to someone else who was involved."

I smiled. "Of course," I said, "I guess it could help me too."

The woman grabbed a napkin from the dispenser on the counter and took a pen from her handbag. She scribbled on the napkin before handing it to me. "Here's my number, and her room number at the hospital. Give me a call when you're free, and I'll let you know when's best to come. Thank you so much for this."

I took the napkin and shook my head. "No, no, it'll be my pleasure. Have a great day!"

"You too," She called as she disappeared into the crowded café.

I turned to the next customer, my brain swimming from what I just agreed to do. "How can I help you?"

"Just one of those muffins, please."