Chapter 6

The room by the stairs was getting a show. Ethan stalked back and forth like a panther at the zoo. Leslee stood with her back to the window, arms folded and a stoic face to match.

"Why not marriage?" Ethan demanded to know turning in front of the large armoire.

"I don't have a problem with marriage." Leslee said. She glanced at the three-carat diamond ring still in the half open box on the bed. "It can be a great thing." 

"We already do all the things that married couples do: cohabitate, sex.  And you cook dinner!" Ethan slapped his sides. "Hell, we even have dinner parties with our friends."

Ethan planned to propose to Leslee at the end of break after days of carefree bonding. Unfortunately, his plan was destroyed when she started unpacking his bag and found the black ring box.

"I know! We've been doing all that for three years. You were in love with the lifestyle not the life commitment; remember!" Leslee said using her hands to convey her point.

"Its just the appropriate time, the natural course of things." Ethan declared gaining enough composure to stand still.

"You're a liar, Ethan! You've been pushing to get married every since that acceptance letter from Yale came back." She was still shaking her head, unconvinced from his comment.

"I have always wanted to marry you. I just pushed up asking you because I'm leaving in four months." He said smooth and calmly. He knew Leslee was the one he wanted to spend the rest of his life with no matter how spicy her temper.

"I admit that your love for me is true but you want to put a ring on it because of your insecurities. Get this Ethan, one can have a ring on and still have an illicit affair. I will not marry someone that doesn't trust me." 

Ethan didn't say a word, just stared at her breathing rigorously. He didn't know what to do or what to say.

Leslee's emotions got the best of her. She couldn't understand how she could be okay with him leaving and he couldn't be sure of their love when he's gone. She stormed out of the room in a fury.

Ethan angrily threw his body on the bed, breathing in the deep pine smell that swirled in the room. He thought it was the right move. He hoped his plan wasn't screwed up. There were still some more days left, things could be salvaged.

The living room television was blasting an old episode of Martin to drown out the happenings upstairs. Eric and Asia were stretched out on the couch. Leslee speed walked pass them headed for the front door. She slammed it behind her causing the side windows to vibrate.

"Oh, thank God! They finally stopped." Eric said turning down the volume. "I thought we left our parents at home. Nag, Nag, Nag; Bitch, Bitch, Bitch; if they're going to act like this we should've left them." He looked at Asia for agreement.

Asia rolled her eyes. "I guess I'll check on her," Asia said pulling herself off the cozy couch. Shaka who was lying in front of the red brick fireplace trotted behind her. 

Asia held the door open for Shaka to pass in front of her. Unlike Leslee, she gently closed the door behind her. With his television buddy gone, Eric got up and strolled to the kitchen. The aromas of the spices sparked his curiosity. Eric caught Ashlyn and Denver in a passionate make-out session while the food around them was also steaming.

"Are you guys going to cook or kiss because I'm hungry?" Eric said sitting on the maple barstool.

They stopped, released each other's bodies and resumed their kitchen duties. Ashlyn stirred the sautéing food in the black cast-iron skillet. Denver went back to chopping vegetables on the wood-checkered chopping board. Eric gazed at the food none of which sparked his appetite.