Chapter 33- The Gang Doesn't Change

Start from the beginning

"You need to wake up, cupcake. I'm about to kill your brother." His voice is a melody to my ears.

"Ugh, are they going to be doing this all night?" Mike sounds like his usually cheery self.

"Why did they even put you guys in the same room?" Adrian grumbles from some corner in the room.

"You think I want to be here with that klutz of a girl and her love crazed stalker?" I resent that, Mike.

I'm not that big of a klutz.

I wish someone would up Mike's morphine dosage.

To lethal.

"Who are you calling a stalker?" Is it me or did Drew's voice just drop into a completely dark tone? It makes him sound hotter. The room gets eerily quiet and I wish my eyes were open to drink in the expressions on everybody's face.

"You, a stalker? More like psycho, big brother." Oh Sammy, you'd be the only brave one to make this observation out loud. I can practically hear Drew roll his eyes skyward.

"When the hell is this shorty going to wake up so I can go home?" Lucas blurts out.

"Just go home then." Ruby's tone kind of makes me think there's some unresolved issues with her and Lucas. I'm relatively unconscious in a hospital bed and I still felt that burn. Maybe this will make Lucas think twice before he sort of pulls a gun out on her father, or sends him a stripper gram. I still can't wrap my mind on what possessed him to do such an idiotic thing.

"Ouch." At least Adrian is in a state in which he's able to point this out loudly and clearly.

Drew's hand tightens a bit on mine before his thumb begins to stroke lazy circles on my skin, perhaps an unconscious move but comforting all the same. Thoughts of Lucy finally race to mind and my heartbeat stops momentarily before speeding up in rising panic. Where is she? Is she okay? And who is looking after my baby? The beeping in my ear speeds up with my rising panic and the frantic beating of my heart.

"Khloe, calm down." I can feel Drew's breath on my face, hear the worry clearly in his voice. "She's okay," he finally whispers. His voice breaks a little, at my pain or at the thought of the dangers the little angel at home could face, I don't know. But, the distraught in his voice feels like he carries my pain and his. As if his heart has taken the duty to feel for me while I'm unavailable.

"Khloe," his voice is nothing but a mangled whisper.

There are monumental moments in life when certain things hit you like a freight train. Where things become infallible and you know nothing you do will ever change them. The moment in which I was told my parents were dead and the moment in which I realized they really were not coming back. Two very different dates, but both devastating.

The moment I realized that no matter how you cook them, brussel sprouts will never be cool, or tasty. The moment in which you bleach your favorite jeans and nothing you do will change that fact.

Finally, the moment in which I realize I'll never meet someone like Drew in my life. The realization has my eyes fluttering open, eager to land on his. The moment his eyes connect with mine and murder my heart beat with the love shining in them. The way time stops as he brushes his lips against the hand he's holding. The way my breath escapes me as he leans his forehead against mine before his lips ghost a kiss there too. The way he looks at me with those intoxicating eyes, his expression telling me that I hold his world in my hands. The moment my heart whispers there will be no one else but Drew.

The world will tell you to embrace yourself, to love yourself for others to love you. But sometimes, it shuns you for giving in to its pretty words. Truth is, someone out there for whatever reason will dislike the person you are. They don't tell you that being who you are will also be your greatest tragedy at some point in your life. It's the same when it comes to love. They'll tell you that love has no age, and that it can break every boundary. But, at our age, they'll tell you that love is an illusion. They'll tell us we're too young, that our hearts are incapable. That we're not mature enough.