Chapter Four // Suitcases & Iced Coffee

"Don't you look all sunshine and daisies this morning." I narrowed my eyes at Kasey as he made his way towards me carrying a venti iced coffee that hopefully had my name on it.

"The sun isn't up, therefore I'm not." He just laughed and handed me the coffee. I moaned a thanks after taking a sip. "I owe you so much." Kasey grabbed my suitcase that I had beside my trunk. We met at the race shop so I could park my car and drive with him down to Darlington, that way it would be easy for me to get into the restricted areas since all of my hot passes are waiting for me at the track - per NASCAR's order.

"Good, remember that." He looked over towards the entrance of the parking lot when lights from another vehicle flashed over us. "Because there's a slight change in plans." I watched as Kasey waved to whoever pulled up besides us and froze when my brain finally registered what was going on.

Chase was hanging out of the window of a truck identical to Kasey's and hesitantly gave me a smile. "Good morning," he offered, but all I could do was stare while trying to focus on the way the bitter sweet liquid tastes on my tongue and not the way Chase's sleepy voice stirs something deep within.

"Sorry for the confusion, Chase," I heard Kasey say, "I got the phone call late last night and haven't had time to fill Sadie in here, I hope you don't mind?" By that time Kasey made his way towards the back of Chase's pickup and put my suitcase in his truck.

"What's going on?" I finally offered, but the boys just ignored me.

"Nah, I have backup." Chase held up a cup carrier with two more iced coffees and Kasey raised his eyebrow up at him in question. I groaned at how Chase remembered I can't function without coffee in the morning.

"How do you?"
"Ready?" The boys both talked at the same time and finally Kasey shed some light on the situation.

"You're playing PR for Chase. I gotta go, I'm late with picking up the others." Kasey got into his truck after saying goodbye to Chase and headed off, leaving me completely speechless and dumbfounded.

This cannot be happening.

I wanted to turn around and run towards my car - run from the idea that I was going to spend the next 2 hours alone... with him. But I decided to take the high road and climb into the cab of his truck, which was a huge mistake because it smelled just like all those summer nights we used to spend together. "I hope you still take your coffee with an extra shot, two pumps peppermint with creamer."
"And no sugar" we both said together. He laughed, catching my eye and biting that damn lip of his.

I felt myself being pulled to him by some invisible force, his eyes darting from mine down to my lips and back to my eyes before he tore them away to look straight ahead. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and fell back against the seat as he started the truck.

"Yeah, so," he said breaking the silence after a while, "Mr. H. called Kasey late last night." He never refers my dad as 'your dad' and always Mr. H. I hated it. "I guess he was explaining to Kasey that you shouldn't be thrown head first into a busy schedule like with what Kasey has and instead be paired up with me where I'm only needed here and there. Plus it's my last Cup race."

"Of course he said that. Can't trust his little girl to do anything right, can he?"

"I only found out when I woke up this morning." He ignored my comment but I could tell by the dim lighting from the dash his knuckles were white on the steering wheel. "It was too late to see if my regular guy could cover on such short notice."

"Wait, was someone else going to do this?" It didn't make sense - none of this did.

"Yeahhh," he drugged out, "Mark was going to cover both races for me, but his wife is about to give birth at any second so I told him not to come. Jenna then volunteered for the job."

"Of course she did," I muttered.

"But as of this morning," he continued, ignoring my comment. "Well, I guess last night, she no longer works for the company," he shrugged.

"Fired your girlfriend, already?" I didn't mean to sound so bitter, but it came out like that.

"She's not my girlfriend, Sadie," he sighed, "and we didn't even go out for lunch on Monday, either."

"Might want to tell her that, pretty sure she already picked out her wedding dress."
"Why are you being like this, Sadie?" I crossed my arms and tried my best to sink back into the seat and disappeared.

I didn't answer him.