"that's him?"

1: that's him?

"Lana, are you done cleaning your room?" I heard my mom yell from the bottom of the stairs which instantly caused me to freeze in my place. As I took a good look around my room at the various piles of things that I had begun to work on while cleaning, I let out a sigh.

"Yeah, Mom!" I yelled back, biting my lip as I lied. Hoping to be off the hook, I looked back at my phone that I was holding above my face as I laid on my bed.

"Okay, I'm coming up!" she yelled and I groaned as I rolled off my bed.

"Still finishing putting my clothes away! Give me some time, please!" I hurried to push the stack of books I had made underneath my bed, put the two baskets of clothes in my closet, and began making my bed. Just as I laid my pillows on my bed, my door opened and my mom peeked her head in.

"Looks nice. Put on a candle, would you? It smells like teens up here." I rolled my eyes and walked over to my desk, lighting the candle I had sitting out.

"That's probably because I'm a teen, and live up here." I looked back at her and she smiled. "I'm still confused as to why I had to clean my room. It's not like he's going to be in here."

"Lana, he's visiting for a couple of weeks—he's getting to know us. I'm sure he will be in here at some point. I'm hoping you two get on good terms, because your sister seems to really like him."

"She likes any guy she can get her hands on, they all have—"

"Lana, stop," Mom warned, which caused my eyes to roll. "Be nice to him, okay?"

"I'll be Lana," I told her, making no promises to be nice to the idiot dating my sister. Sure—I hadn't met him yet—but I knew that no one with a brain would go for my sister. She wasn't exactly the epitome of kindness and amity (no one was giving her a nickname like Amiable Amie, that's for sure). I loved her, but familial love could only reach so far.

"Lana, I'm being serious."

"Mom, I'm not going to kill him." I sighed and laid down on my bed, looking at my phone. "If he's nice to me, I'll be nice to him. If he's a jackass—"

"Lana, he will be here soon and I expect you to be on your best behavior. You're almost eighteen, you're not a bad kid, so just stop with the act and please be good."

"Okay, Mom," I sighed and looked over at her. "It'll be fine; why are you so stressed out?"

"Well, firstly, you've been stressing me out—and now your father isn't back with any of the groceries and I need to make dinner in two hours. And on top of everything, your sister decided to come a little earlier than planned."

"Mom, we can leave and come back, if you want." My mom turned around, seeing my sister—Amie—who was standing behind her.

"Oh, Amie!" Mom cried, wrapping her arms around Amie, who laughed quietly as she hugged our mom back. "Where is he?"

"Downstairs. I wanted to make sure Lana wasn't naked and having problems or something."

"What?" I asked, offended. I rolled my eyes as Amie began to laugh.

"Hey, Lana," Amie waved and I nodded my head at her; I would be lying if I said I was particularly excited about seeing her. "Where's Dad?"

"He's still out getting groceries... dinner might be a little later than planned."

"Mom, a late dinner isn't going to scare Luke away," I said, huffing.

"Lana is right, it's not a big deal. Don't let yourself freak out about it."