Chapter 34

Chris

It was Sunday in the noontime. Thomas and I were just coming from the basketball court in our neighborhood. We played one on one in street basketball. I had measly beaten him. We had made a deal that which ever one of us scored ten points first then the loser had to pay the winner twenty.

"So when am I getting my twenty?" I quiz as we shuffle are way down the sidewalk.

He side eyed me. "Whenever I feel like it." He snapped.

Thomas always had a problem with losing, every since we were little. "You're such a sore loser." When we would play hide-and-seek he use to always get ready to attack because someone found his stupid ass under the bed. "When are you giving me my well deserved money?!"

"When I feel like it." He gritted through his teeth.

"Whatever." I grumbled.

My phone buzzed twice, taking mind off of the current situation. I reached into my pocket and looked at the screen:

323-555: you're the worst person to text :(

new email

I swiped the screen to view the email first.  I skimped the email reading every other word. That's until a sentence jumped out at me: Chris Scott. This email is to inform you that we accepted your application and would like to welcome you to our family at Burger King. Please...

I've been waiting for some type of well... anything from them. A call, email, whatever. I was starting to think they were never going to even get back to me. I even searched up things online to give me hints as to whether I nailed the interview or not. I did everything professionally as I could. So when those days past and they didn't call I was shocked, but then forced myself to forget about it.

"Hey, if you done acting like a little bitch..." I grumbled and held my phone out to show Thomas my email. "I got the job."

He forcefully snatched the phone from me. "Cool, so you gon' get me free burgers or what?" He asked jokingly.

I snatched my phone back and glared at him. "What."

"You gon' get me free burgers or what?" He asked again.

"I know what you asked and my answer is what." I said. I lowered the brightness on my phone and checked the text I just received.

Thomas cleared his throat. "I don't get it..." He grumbled.

"Of course not." I said to myself.

323-555: you're the worst person to text :(

I keep forgetting to save Tiana's number. I remember the first time she texted me, I didn't  know it was her at first. Soon after she told me it was her I was weirded out as to why she was even texting me, we've must've swapped numbers awhile back. Maybe at the valentines mixer or when my mom made us go over to her house to welcome her and her family to the neighborhood. But I wasn't exactly sure. After while, I didn't think much of it, because we just clicked, as friends. Besides we are neighbors and texting won't do any harm. Well, our texts won't do any harm.

Chris: hi

...

323-555: What are you doing?

I locked my phone as Thomas began to speak. "Bro, that girl that we saw, the one with the blonde in her hair? She was bad as shit." He said, nudging my side.