Chapter Two

Chapter Two: The Awakening

*Present Day Mystic Falls*
Emma

        Quiet gasps escaped my parted lips, as I felt pain erupt in my chest. It was a burning like pain, causing me to flinch as I felt my lungs take in a large breath of air: the first breath of air they had taken in for many, many years. I attempted to move my hand the slightest bit, only to stop and let out a pained filled breath as a tingling sensation erupted through my entire body. It was the feeling one would feel if their hand or ankle had fallen asleep: except it was everywhere.

        I could feel my blood beginning to circulate though me, running from my toes all the way up to my brain. Memories from back when I was human burst into my mind, overwhelming momentarily and giving me a slight headache. More slowly drifted in, allowing me to remember exactly what had happened before I was "put out". I felt extreme happiness run through me, but it was replaced quickly by anger as I remembered exactly where I was and what had happened.

        I opened my eyes, closing them as I was blinded by the brightly lit up room. The change of scenery and color caused the ache in my head to pound more, but it was suddenly gone as my eyes met those of a friend.

        "Elijah!" I grinned, feeling a thick happiness coat my heart. I lifted myself up, pulling my arms around him and giving him a tight squeeze, feeling the numbness in my body slowly subduing itself and evaporating. Slowly, with Elijah's help, I grabbed his hand, allowing him to carefully help me out of the coffin.

        I stared at the room around me, eyes darting back and forth. I was stunned at the sight of the room, along with the odd objects that were scattered artistically around. Just how long have I been under that wretched spell, I wondered as I examined the bright lights and porcelain ceiling, nothing like what had been around during the previous time she was awake.

        "What year is it, Elijah?" I asked, our brown eyes meeting. A look crossed his face, but it was gone as quick as it came, leaving me confused as to what had crossed his mind.

        "You've been asleep for a long time, Emelia." He stated, watching my confused expression with a careful eye. "For now,  would you care to help me as to awaken my siblings?"

        "Of course, Elijah." I nodded, watching as he gave me a grin. "Please, though, call me Emma. It's been a long while since we've spoken, but I insist."

        Elijah chuckled, apologizing quickly before walking over to one of the other coffins. Still feeling confused as I walked to the coffin parallel to mine. The designs on it were odd, almost matching the ones on mine, causing me to slowly become more and more excited. I slowly grasped the sides, being sure to control the amount of force I used when I pried up the top. I felt stunned, in a good way, as I glanced upon the sight of a sleeping Kol Mikaelson. A happy gasp and a dreamy sigh left my lips, my eyes watering slightly as I gazed upon my unconscious lover.

        The dagger had already been removed, meaning that all that was left would be to wake him up. All the grey lines that had originally covered his body, when he was still daggered, were gone. This led me to the conclusion that he was just sleeping. Slowly, I reached out my hands, grasping his face in the and slowly tilting his head back and forth.

        "Kol," I began, whispering quietly. "Kol, my love, wake up."

        His body twitched lightly, but not enough for me to believe he had awaken yet. Other than the slight movement, there were no other sounds, which caused me to continue on the task of waking him up.

        "Kol. Wake up. It's me, Emma."

        His body stirred, his eyes behind his lids twitching slightly. I watched his chest expand as he took in a deep breath of air, his lips opening slightly as he took in more to accommodate the ache in his lungs. His eyelids flew back, exposing to me his gorgeous deep brown eyes, which were now locked on mine.