seventeen: totally ruined

⠀⠀⠀⠀Grabbing my phone from my bag, I force my way through the crowded hallways of my school. I finally break through the large crowd and saunter over to Ryland who's staring at her locker as if it talked back to her.

When I reach her locker, I purse my lips and raise my eyebrows at the red head who's totally zoned out. I take my hand and snap in her face causing her to blink several times before looking at me.

"You okay?" I question with raised eyebrows.

"Yeah, fine," she smiles a closed lip smile. She's definitely not telling me something.

"You sure," I ask slowly shooting her a confused yet concerned look.

"Positive," she smiles before shutting her locker.

Instead of pushing the subject further, we head towards the cafeteria for lunch. By now, I'm exhausted from all the studying I have done as next week is finals week.

But, that means that summer is so close! And I cannot wait.

I get to visit Grandma Anne.

When we take our seat at our usual table, I catch Ryland glancing at my brother. I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but I'm pretty sure he has to do with the incident not even two minutes ago.

"So," I start grabbing her full attention. "Since we bailed on the last soccer game, we have to go to tomorrow's game," I state shoving a fry into my mouth.

Jackson had made me promise to go to tomorrow's game since I bailed on Tuesday's. At least this one is a Friday game.

Weekend games are better.

"Okay," she replies still acting strange. She seems like she's in shock or confused.

"Okay, spill," I push my fries aside despite wanting to devour them. I fold my hands and lean closer to hear all the details.

She huffs before shaking her head in agreement. I mean, she can trust me. After all, I did tell her the biggest secret of my life.

"I think your brother asked me on a date," she spits out really fast barely letting me catch on to her words.

I take in her words and purse my lips. Conner never mentioned anything about liking Ryland or even asking her on a date. In fact, there's been no evidence that he even knows who she is.

"Why do you think and not know?" I ask receiving a puzzled face. Obviously she didn't think I'd react the way I did.

"Well, he was talking about his last game which is Friday against Westfield," she starts. "He then proceeded to tell me about this really good pizza place. He mentioned going there after the game, but he didn't actually ask me," she huffs. "I'm confused."

"Hmm," I bite the inside of my cheek thinking.

I love my brother and I love my best friend, but Conner will be moving out of state to go professional in soccer in a few months. I don't want either of them to get hurt, but I can't stop them. That'd be hurtful as well.

"Maybe he was to scared to ask," I offer.

Note to self: ask Conner about this tonight. But do not under any circumstance let Ryland know.

"Maybe," she sighs while swirling her spoon around in her soup.

I offer her a reassuring smile before finishing my lunch.