eleven: he's here

eleven: he's here

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As Ryland and I take our seats, Landon walks over to the both of us. I shoot Ryland a look who currently has a face that reads I'm-going-to-murder-him. She silently asks if she can strangle him and I shake my head no.

I don't need my friend being incarcerated. Especially on charges for homicide.

"Marley," I glare at the boy standing at the end of the table. "Look, I'm sorry. I really am."

Cue Taylor Swift's song You're Not Sorry.

Man, T. Swift songs are so relevant. Especially recently.

"Look, Landon, I made the mistake of believing you before." He cringes at my words. But it's true, it was a mistake. "I'm not going to make the same mistake twice."

"I get it," he smiles an insincere closed mouth smile. "I really am sorry. Bye, Marley," he nods before walking away leaving Ryland and I alone.

My eyebrows knit in confusion. He's never given up that easy. I guess he finally gets it. At least I hope so.

"So," I shift in my seat throwing away any memory of Landon. "You sleeping over this weekend?" I pull out my pasta that Rosaline had made me for lunch.

"Sure am," Ryland's mood changes altogether once the boy had left and I had changed topics. "I'm so ready to pig out and watch movies all night."

"If only Friday were to hurry up," I joke. "I'm going to get a napkin. You need one," I ask standing up from my seat.

"I'm good," she states with a mouth full of food.

"Has anyone ever told you that you're not supposed to talk with your mouth full?" I tease before making my way towards the condiment table.

As I pass by Conner's table, the usual teasing occurs by his 'friends' but this time was slightly different. Conner didn't participate. In fact, he told them to stop.

Does that count as standing up for me? I guess it kind of does.

"Seriously, Con?" Kylie asks in disbelief. "Whatever," she rolls her eyes before continuing a conversation with the others.

A smile makes its way on my face as I return to my table with a napkin in hand. Ryland raises her eyebrows at me as I take a seat on the bench.

"Why are you smiling like the Cheshire Cat?" She scrunches her nose.

"Conner kind of stood up for me against those jerks," I reply taking a bite of my pasta. Mm, thank you, Rosaline.

"What happened?"

"Well, I was walking to get some napkins and Kylie and her crew started to pick on me like normal," I relay taking another bite of pasta. "Then," I finish chewing my food. "Then Conner told them to stop." I finish.

"Wow," Ryland's eyes widen. She knows that Conner has been one of the ones to pick on me. I've told her everything including the part where he called them his fake friends. She thinks that he's doing it to keep his reputation.

"Yeah," I reply snapping the lid back on my pasta container. "Maybe this is the start of something new," I shrug. Maybe he's realizing I'm more important than his popularity.