one: forgotten

one: forgotten

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Sighing, I grab the handle of my beat up suitcase and wheel the case to the airport doors that lead to the sunny and warm California air. Inside my well-used suitcase hold all the memories of my past life-well, all the memories that would fit in the small, black box on wheels. Having to pack up your whole life into a suitcase is hard. Having to pick and choose what to take and what to leave behind feels like choosing which memories you want to keep and which ones you want to get rid of, but I had to do it. I had no choice.

I search the pickup area hoping to spot my dad in the midst of all the people. I have not seen him since I was six, but I had a good idea of what he looked like. Plus, he sent me a picture so I would be able to spot him easily.

Giving up, I plop down on the curb pulling out my flip phone. Yes, I know, flip phones are so in right now. I search my contacts for the unfamiliar name, dad.

My parents divorced when I was six and when my brother was eight. My dad got custody of my brother and moved to San Francisco, California, while my mom got custody of me and we stayed in Raleigh, North Carolina. The day my parents divorce was finalized was the last day I saw my dad and Conner. It was not that big of a deal to me because I was never close to my dad, but my brother and I were inseparable. Well, apparently not totally inseparable, but you get what I mean.

"Hello," the unfamiliar voice breaks me from my thoughts. "Are you okay, Marley?" My dad's unfamiliar voice is etched with concern.

"Uh, yeah, dad," I bite my lip nervously. I literally have spoken once to my dad since I had to pack my bags and move out here to California, not to mention that I have not had contact with him for the past ten years. You can see why I'm a bit nervous-I don't know the man! "Are you here at the airport to pick me up?"

"Oh," the frown evident in his voice. He forgot-of course. "I'm sorry, Marley. I forgot that you were coming today. I thought you were coming next week," he pauses probably rubbing his hand over his face. "I'll send a car to come get you. It won't be too long. Just hang out at the airport."

Before I can even reply, he hangs up. Thanks for the warm welcome, dad. Sighing once more, I pull out my iPod and plug in my headphones. The song Counting Stars starts playing and I hum along to the music. Normally I would sing along, but I am out in public and there is no way I am singing in front of people. I am not a terrible singer, but I would not say I am the best, though my best friend back in North Carolina says I am.

One hour later a black stretched limo pulls in the pickup area. I wonder who is being picked up, a celebrity maybe? Glad I do not have to ride in that flashy thing. I would not be caught dead in such a vehicle.

The driver side door opens revealing a very tall man dressed in a black suit and a hat. You know, the typical limo driver attire. The tall man makes his way over to me-to me of all people!

"Marley Parker?" The man looks down where I am sitting. I feel very short and small at the moment. "Are you Marley Parker?" He asks catching my attention. Nodding slowly I stand up, but still have to look up to meet the eyes of this man-which is not surprising considering I'm only five foot two. "It is nice to meet you, Miss Parker. My name is John and I will be driving you to the Parker residence." He then grabs my suitcase and motions for me to follow. Hesitantly, I follow the man to the black stretched limo.

Okay, so I said I would be caught dead before being seen in the flashy vehicle, but looks like I was wrong and that I have to get in this thing if I want to be taken to the house. After John places my bag in the trunk, he opens the back door for me to enter. I hesitantly slide into the vehicle and am met with a boy who looks older than me and oddly familiar.