Chapter 18: New York State of Mind

The next day, Caroline charged around Central Park with John following. George laughed at the two from a bench. He still hurt, but it was on such a small level, he barely counted it as pain.

"Imma get ye, Care!" John shouted as he nearly tackled the girl. She laughed and ran out of his reach and back to George.

"Daddy! Daddy! Did you see that? Did you, did you, did you?" Caroline asked, practically jumping on George.

George tapped his chin as if to think. "No, I don't think I did... What 'appened?" 

Caroline huffed and plopped down on the bench. George started tickling her and she tried not to laugh. She hugged George tightly and smiled. George hugged her back and kissed her forehead.

"Feelin' better?" John chuckled. 

"Yeah. I'm pretty well fine now!" George laughed. John smiled nervously at that. He felt his heart fluttering but he knew better than to kiss George in public. So instead he ruffled George's hair. George yelped and jumped at John to return the hair ruffling. Caroline jumped out of the way, laughing at the two as they chased each other around.

"Get back 'ere!" John shouted as he lunged for George. Now, George wasn't as quick on his feet as he used to be and the light dusting of snow and leaves didn't help much. He slipped and John felt on top of him.

They were panting heavily, John's face just an inch from George's. He couldn't hold in the love he had anymore. John pressed his lips gently on George's. They would have gone further but Caroline started rapidly tapping John's shoulder. He looked up and saw nothing but Caroline had a very stressed look on her face.

"What's wrong, Carrie? 'ave t' go t' th' restroom?" John asked. She shook her head and pointed behind John.

"What the hall are you doing?!" a shrill voice shattered John's mind. Even George groaned at the sound.

"Hi, Yoko!" John said with the most false sweetness. "How are ye t'day?!" John jumped up and pulled George up with him. George scooped Caroline up and shot daggers at Yoko.

"How dare you kiss him!" Yoko snapped. 

"We aren't together, ye know..." John growled. "I broke up with ye a while back!"

"What? Why was I never told?!" 

"Because I figured ye'd be smart enough t' figure it out!" John snapped back.

"Johnny..." Caroline muttered. John stopped snapping and looked back at George and Caroline.

"Hey... I... I'm sorry, George... I--" John started.

"Work it out. Until then, sod off. I don't wanna see ya..." George stalked away with Caroline crying. George was trying not to run back to John and beg for forgiveness for being so rude and quick to judge but he didn't have to.

"George. I'm sorry. I need ye with me... Please don't leave..." John said as he grabbed George's shoulder. George set Caroline down and turned to John.

John pulled George close and told him over and over that he was sorry but George didn't respond at all.

"George? George, listen t' me. I mean it. Everything I said about ye, I mean it. Yer my ev--" John was cut off again as George slowly kissed him.

"I know..." he whispered. "I'd die without ya..."

"No ye wouldn't..."

"I almost did this mornin'!"

"Tha' car came outta nowhere! All I did was yank ye back."

"Still..." George mumbled as he stared into John's eyes. "I love ya..."

Caroline tried to work her way between the two.

"Carrie, what're ye doin'?" John chuckled as he picked her up.

"'m cold..." she shivered. 

"Let's go somewhere a little warmer, then," George chuckled.

The three trooped off to find a warmer place of interest, leaving Yoko standing there and glaring at them.

* * * * *

The rest of the day went off fine, except for when a taxi driver sped past and splashed cold, muddy water on John.

"Fuck it! Fuck this! Fuck!" John swore loudly.

"When th' police come fer distrubin' th' peace, we don't know John, m'k?" George laughed quietly to Caroline. She giggled and John turned around, his formerly white shirt now soaked dirty brown.

"It's not funny," he said as he tried to clean his glasses off. "Dammit!"

"It's been a long day. Let's jus' go back an' clean up. Alright, John?" George said.

John nodded and they went back to the hotel room.

* * * * *

While John showered, George asked Caroline where she wanted to go next. She thought about it but couldn't come up with anywhere. Then John got out of the shower with just a pair of pants on. 

"'ey, George... 'ave ye seen my shirt? I think I lost it..." John mumbled as he looked around. George was turning bright red. Caroline giggled a little and gave John his shirt back.

"Daddy told me to take it from you..." she snickered.

"Shh...!" George hissed, his face going even redder. John laughed and kissed George.

"If ye wanted t' see this again, ye shoulda jus' told me..." John murmured to George.

"Where are we goin' tomorrow?" George asked, changing the subject.

"Should we start headin' out west?" John suggested.

"Yeah!" Caroline shouted. She jumped off the couch and ran over to John. "But where?" 

John smiled. "Chicago. We're goin' t' Chicago!"