Chapter 8: Good Morning...?

It never seemed weird to Caroline when she woke up the next day in a hotel with her dad holding her close, snoring softly. It didn't seem strange to see George sitting on the foot of the bed, nervously bouncing his leg and smoking. It wasn't different when she noticed the tear tracks on George's and Ringo's faces.

She didn't know what had happened.

"Hunka Geo...?" she asked quietly as she broke away from Ringo. "You okay?"

George didn't respond. He shook his head after a minute. Caroline crawled over and wrapped her arms around his.

"Carrie..." Ringo mumbled. "Carrie? Where'd ye go?" He looked up groggily. Caroline had managed to get George laugh a little. He looked back at Ringo and the smile on his face faded.

"It wasn't a dream. I hoped it was, but it wasn't."

Ringo nodded and looked at Caroline. She gave him a confused look.

"Don't worry, dear. It's nothin' of yer concern," Ringo told her. Caroline shrugged and hopped off the bed.

"Why does she do tha'?" George questioned as he leaned closer to Ringo.

"Do what? Talk like tha'?"

"Yeah. Why?"

Ringo smiled sadly. "She wanted Brian t' correct 'er. Tha's not gonna 'appen now, though..."

George nodded and called Caroline over.

"Yeah?" she asked as she bounded over.

"Caroline. Brian left. He'll be gone fer a while."

Caroline frowned. "Why? Because Paul?"

"Caroline please stop talkin' like tha'. People'll think yer stupid if ye talk like tha'," George growled.

The young girl flinched. George never spoke to her like that. Her frown deepened.

"Don't be mean," she muttered.

"Caroline! I am not bein' mean! 'm tryin' t' keep ya from makin' a fool of yerself!" George snapped.

"I don't care! I don't care!" the girl shouted back.

"Ya do not take tha' tone of voice with me, ya hear!" George's anger got the best of him and he smacked her.

"George!" Ringo shouted as he scooped his daughter up. "I know yer pissed, but please! Do not touch me daughter again..." Ringo glared at George. Caroline let out a sob.

"Carrie...Carrie...shhshh...it's okay. I 'ave ye..." Ringo whispered to her. "Let's go, okay?"

She nodded and they left George.

Caroline had a red mark across her face by they time they got home.

"What happened!" Paul gasped when he saw it. "Oh Carrie! Are you okay?" He took the girl from Ringo, the first time he had ever paid her more than a few seconds glare. Something had woken up in Paul's heart, a fatherly instinct.

John noticed it immediately. Ringo was still thinking about what George had just done.

If Paul' s acting like that, something must be up... John thought. I'm going to find out what it is...