Chapter 5: Sweet Caroline

Brian was pissed to say the least. The stress of managing this group had already been eating at him and now this? A baby? It was all too much. He demanded Ringo to give the child up. It was too late though. Ringo's heart was sold and devoted to the girl. George was pretty set on helping and John was willing to lend a hand. Only Paul sided with Brian.

"You can't take care of a child and be touring, Ringo!" Brian exclaimed. "It'd be too much for you. And you are rather childish at times..."

George jumped up to defend Ringo. "Maybe 'e isn't as focused on money as ya are! Did ya think of tha'?"

"Now George. You know that money is what is keeping you four out of trouble!" Brian countered.

"Ye 'ave a messed up sense of logic, Eppy. Money is wha' got us into this situation with all the girls and shit!" John snapped.

Paul shook his head. "Ringo...just get rid of the kid!"

Ringo said nothing. He knew Brian was upset because he was stressed. He knew John and George were edgy because the baby kept them up all night. He knew Paul was trying to stop the drama. He knew that this child needed someone to care for her. And he said that. Paul hung his head and murmured in agreement. Brian sighed and caved in.

"Maybe we can make this work..." he sighed.

Three days passed and the baby was still being referred to as "the baby" or "Ringo's kid".

At three in the morning on the fourth day, the baby woke up crying. 

John rolled over in bed and yelled down the hall. "George! Take care of Ringo's kid!"

"Tha's not 'er name, John!" Ringo yelled back.

"Well what th' bloody 'ell is 'er name, then?"

Ringo thought for a minute. Lucy...? No... Brenda? No...oh! Caroline! Caroline! "Caroline! 'er name is Caroline!"

"Caroline?" John said after a little. "Caroline...I like tha', Rings! Caroline Starr!" 

George stuck his head in Ringo's room. Ringo was holding Caroline and smiling at her.

"Tha's a beautiful name, Ringo," George mumbled as he walked over.

"It is, isn't it?" Ringo smiled again and yawned. "Ugh...I'm beat..."

George smiled. "I can take care of 'er. Go back t' bed, Ritchie. Get some sleep."

Ringo nodded and handed Caroline to George. "G'night, my sweet girl..." he muttered as he touched her head gently. He looked back up at George and just nodded.

"Good night, Ritchie..." George whispered as he closed the door.

George stayed up nearly an hour just to get Caroline to fall asleep again. She wasn't crying but she certainly wasn't in a good mood. George had to break down and sing her to sleep.

The next day, Ringo was all rested up but George wasn't. He had fallen asleep when he tried to sing Caroline to sleep.

"'ey, Georgie...George...wake up..." Ringo gently shook George awake. 

George opened his eyes slowly. Ringo was smiling at him.

"I made ye breakfast..." Ringo chuckled. George smiled. Life was pretty good.