Ch.21

It took an hour after their disagreement to forgive and forget, but that was because they landed in a bad situation near the exit.

Maria peered around Jonathan, who was looking around the corner of the hall to see the Batman and Lock-Up go at each other; hand to hand combat.

"What do we do?" She whispered. "Find another exit?"

"There's only one exit."

"Oh. So we wait then."

"Pretty much."

A pause.

"Batman got punched in the face really hard."

"I'm guessing the probability of a broken nose."

Maria nodded absentmindedly, then winced. "Did Batman just kick him in the-"

"Yes, he did." Jonathan interrupted quickly.

"I think this is the first time he has ever stooped so low."

"I don't even want to know."

She huffed in annoyance, and then was surprised when someone tapped her on the shoulder. Turning around, she saw the familiar sight of Claudia.

"Claud!" Maria exclaimed and embraced her.

"I can't believe I found you guys!" She responded as she pulled away. "And I have your scythe."

Taking the scythe out of a handmade sheath, Claudia handed it over. Maria subconsciously stroked the blunt edge of the blade. "Thank you for returning it."

"Welcome. Glad you found your guy."

Maria gasped. "Oh yeah! Jonathan meet Claudia. Claudia meet Jonathan."

"Nice to meet you." Jonathan said simply and held out a hand, which Claudia shook in reply. "And not to sound rude.. But how did you guys meet?"

"After the Charity Ball, at the hospital." Maria said.

"Hush wanted me to help her home." Claudia added.

"So you work with Hush?"

She nodded. "Kinda. Sort of. We're also in a complicated relationship right now."

"That's Thomas for you."

Claudia nodded in agreement.

Suddenly the Batman flew past them, and into a cell. Landing hard, and barely moving. Lock-Up came up to the cell, not noticing them, and entered it.

"Let's go." Jonathan murmured and grabbed her by the hand. Claudia following in suit.

They ran quickly and silently until they entered a familiar hall of the main part of Arkham Asylum. This was the hall that held offices for the staff, in fact hers was still there with her name on it.

Claudia sighed. "Really wish I was here when you were a shrink."

Maria smiled. "Shrink. That would make you one too Jonathan."

He gave her a blank glance, which she rolled her eyes at.

They continued to walk down more halls of the asylum. None were usually inhabited by loiterers, but if there were, they always turned a blind eye. After all, the former prisoners of Arkham were having the time of their lives.. And that sure didn't happen often.

But as soon as they reached the lobby, no one was in sight. To their surprise, the police hadn't even shown up yet. The Batman was lying to them unless the police were on the other side of Arkham.

Keeping to the foliage, that was shrouded in shadows from the night, they made it to the regular boat that ferried back and forth from here to the mainland.

Hopping in, Jonathan decided to take the wheel as the boat slowly but surely started.

The sound of water hitting the boat was relaxing in a weird way, and she slowly slumped as exhaustion took over. Sleep came right after.