Chapter 32: Alexis in Wonderland

Start from the beginning

-"You know, in other countries around the world, they celebrate the day of the dead."—Alexis commented, as the three made their way through the gloomy hallway—"It's the next day after Halloween."

-"Is it?"—Mikey asked, intrigued—"I don't think I've heard of it before."

-"Technically, that's the actual holiday."—Alexis explained—"It's a catholic day, taken from a Celtic tradition. All Hollow's Day. And, the night before, is All Hollow's Eve."

-"Halloween..."—Mikey commented, earning a nod from Alexis.

-"Yeah. The British were the first ones to adapt the celebration differently. That happened with many other holidays as well; Christmas, Easter..."

-"You sure know a lot about these things."—Mikey observed.

-"Growing up, Al would spend hours checking out history books."—Connor commented, making Mikey turn in his direction—"But not the ones from school; she loved going to the library and reading the stuff they didn't teach us. She usually dragged me along. More than once we got into trouble for not having a library card."

Alexis blushed and smiled at the memory. There was once a time she had taken a book from the library of the town she and Connor were staying at by mistake, and got caught. Connor then took the blame for her. They were banned from the library, but it didn't matter, because they were moved out the next day.

-"Yeah, she has always been like that."—Connor kept on saying—"She also loved reading plays out loud in her room when no one was listening."

At this, Alexis' blush turned deeper into that of embarrassment, as Mikey tried to contain a laugh, and as she stared daggers at Connor.

-"Yeah, I've overheard her..."—Mikey admitted, making Alexis slap him in the arm.

Then, Connor remembered a certain something he had almost forgotten from the last time he had spoken with Lia.

-"Hey, Al."—he said, earning her attention—"What part are you playing in the end? For the drama club?"

Alexis' features turned to that of panic, and she then looked straight up ahead, unwilling to look back at Connor and doing here best at remaining impassive.

-"An extra."—she answered flatly.

-"Why?"—Connor asked.

-"Yeah, how come? I've seen you practicing for the role of Alice, I've heard you recite the lines! And you were doing great!"—Mikey said, then turning to Connor questioningly—"Is Mr. Dawson that blind?"

-"He isn't. He's great. I just..."

Alexis let ought a sigh, fixing her beanie a little before she could go on speaking. She then answered, still not meeting their eyes.

-"... I never auditioned for Alice."

At this, both Connor and Mikey stopped dead on their tracks, wide-eyed. Connor pulled Alexis' arm gently, making her turn around and face them. She looked frankly very exhausted, but also very resolved. She didn't look embarrassed anymore.

-"Why didn't you?"—Mikey asked softly, clearly not understanding.

-"Because...!"

Alexis didn't seem to have the words to express her motives. She kept biting her lips and looking all around her, as if trying to come up with a good excuse. However, she eased up eventually, sighing once again and facing the boys.

-"I would have ruined it! What would I have been able to do with a lead role? I've never ever done theatre before; this is the first time I've been lucky enough to be in the team! Let alone the play! I'm not going to jeopardize the entire production just because I think I'm good enough! I need practice! And... and baby steps, and a slow pace!"