Chapter Twenty-Seven

After breakfast, everyone headed outside. For the first time since her arrival, Alex was getting a good look at the beauty of the landscape in broad daylight. Nestled in between a natural valley formation was a crystal clear stream. It was still early, but it was hot. By now her lungs were getting used to the slightly thicker, more oxygenated air.

"Here, put this on," Maxim said, handing Alex a necklace.

"What's this?"

"As long as you have it on, it'll keep you safe."

"Was I not safe before?" she asked, accepting the necklace and slipping it over her head.

"Inside the cave, you don't need to wear it, but outside, you must wear it at all times."

Alex looked at the pendant that dangled from the leather strap. It was a triangular shaped piece of metal, encapsulating a glowing blue stone. She noticed that everyone else was wearing the same pendant in some form or another. Kyodin had a ring, Olivia had a bracelet, and Maxim had it on his belt buckle.

"What about Monk?"

"He's different," Maxim said. "He doesn't need to wear one."

"So what does this do?"

"It's complicated," Maxim said, "I'll explain later."

Kyodin and Alex walked together, following Maxim's lead. Monk was a few paces behind, carrying Olivia on his shoulders. Alex was still not fully comfortable around Monk. Aside from his imposing stature and intimidating looks, he had also swatted her across the room and caused her excessive harm. She still hadn't forgotten about that. Given enough time, Alex would likely come around, but she didn't intend to spend too much unnecessary time on Titan.

Her mission was to notify her father of Arlon, which she had done, and convince him to come back to Earth. She hoped at some point in the day she'd have another conversation with him about it. From what she had seen so far, her father was really enjoying his new life.

"It's blazing out here," Alex commented, wiping sweat from her brow. "I can only imagine how Monk is feeling right now with that thick coat of fur."

"I wouldn't worry too much about him," Kyodin replied. "He's from this planet so he's probably evolved to deal with different weather conditions."

"On Earth, typically the only animals that have white fur live in really cold climates where it snows. Their fur keeps them warm, but also acts as camouflage. I wonder if it's the same here. Does it ever snow on Titan?"

"Not that I've ever seen," Kyodin said.

"So where do you suppose Monk came from? I mean, are there others like him or is he the last of his kind?"

"I'm not sure. He's been around ever since I can remember... although my memory from my childhood is a bit fuzzy. If I had to guess, I'd say that he is the only one of his kind since I haven't seen any others like him."

"Perhaps his species was what populated this planet," Alex suggested. "The skeletons in the ruins are about the same size as him."

"Maybe you're right, who knows. You'd have to ask dad."

"Can I ask you a question?" Alex said.

"Sure."

"Do you prefer to be called Kyodin or Kyo?"

"Either one is fine, I have no preference."

"So Kyo, yesterday, you seemed to know more about the robots than you were letting on. What can you tell me about them?"

"Not much," Kyodin said. "I've seen them before, but they usually don't come out this way. There are a lot scarier things in the jungle that you have to worry about."

"What could be scarier than a fleet of killer robots?"

"Those guys are nothing. I would have mopped the floor with them."

"Except you didn't."

"I was trying to keep you safe."

"I appreciate that, thank you," Alex said sincerely. "Alright so what is the scariest thing you've seen?"

"Oh gosh, where do I start? Snarling six-limbed beasts the size of an elephant, winged creatures with giant dagger-like claws that swoop down and try to take you away, packs of rabid ape-like animals that swarm you and eat you alive, giant insects that can paralyze you with one bite or embed into your skin and take over your brain. Scary stuff."

"You've experienced this?"

"Me? No, it happened to one of father's crew members a long time ago. He tells me what to watch out for and what boundaries are safe. That's why I never go beyond the northern ridge, it's too dangerous."

"According to him?"

"Yes, of course. He knows everything."

Alex enjoyed her brother's company, but his depth of knowledge was a little too shallow to be of any real use. To get proper answers, it was clear she needed to speak with the man who 'knows everything'.