sixteen: duke nightrunner

Start from the beginning

"No idea," I shrug. "To be honest, I hate soccer."

"Then why are you going?" She raises an eyebrow and smiles knowing very well why I'm going.

"Hm, I wonder," I crack a cheesy smile of my own. We ride in silence for about a minute before a brilliant idea pops in my head. "Do you wanna ditch?" A huge smile resting on my lips.

"Ditch? What do you mean?" Confusion written all over her face.

"Let's skip the game and go see Star Wars: The Force Awakens," I glance over at Ryland who's looking at me like I'm crazy.

"Are you sure?" Her eyebrows raise. "Won't Jackson be upset?"

I shrug unknowingly. "It's fine. I'll call him and tell him."

I use the Bluetooth to dial Jackson's number. I tap my thumb on the steering wheel waiting for him to pick up.

"Hello?" He asks breathlessly over the phone.

"Did you just run a marathon?" I crack a smile at my joke from earlier. Ryland rolls her eyes at me.

"Yes," he states. "You on your way?" He questions.

I bite my lip suddenly nervous. What if he does get angry?

Oh well.

"I was, but Ryland and I are going to see the new Star Wars." I say pulling onto the street that Ryland told me to turn on.

I've only been here in California for a few weeks. I still don't know the area.

"You're ditching me for Duke Nightrunner?" He asks seriously.

I shoot Ryland a weird look before we both erupt into laughter.

Duke Nightrunner? Now, that's funny.

"You mean Luke Skywalker?" I question stifling me laughter.

"Yeah, sure that guy."

"No. I'm ditching you for Chewie," I smile at Ryland.

"That hairy beast?"

My mouth slightly opens as I'm offended. Chewie is no hairy beast!

"He's a Wookie, Jackson!" I scold.

"He's better looking than Jackson," Ryland mumbles under her breath causing me to erupt into a fit of laughter once more.

"What?" Jackson whines.

"Nothing," I reply once I have my laughter under control. "I'll talk to you later," I reply lightly placing my thumb over the end call button.

"Alright. Have fun," the grumpiness in his voice evident. I quickly hang up before giggling at him and his Star Wars knowledge, or lack thereof.

I almost want to cut all ties to the dude. He seems like he doesn't like Star Wars. How could you not like Star Wars?

Ryland tells me to take a right which leads me up a hill and to the movie theater. We exit the car and head towards the ticket booth ready to buy our tickets.

"I can't get over Duke Nightrunner," Ryland chuckles beside me.

"Me either," I laugh quietly as we reach the ticket booth.

Once in the theater with popcorn and drinks in hand, Ryland and I find the best seats in the theater. Fortunately, not many people were here yet allowing us to have the freedom of choosing any seat.

We choose the very back row right smack dab in the middle. Perfect.

We munch on the popcorn and make sure not to drink too much so that we don't have to pee during the movie. The movie trailers take too long, but finally, the moment we all have been waiting for...

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....

Once the credits roll, every single person in the room applauds the movie. It was that good.

I turn to Ryland and we both say at the same time, "that was awesome."

And it was.

author's note

I crack myself up.

Duke Nightrunner! (': I don't think I'll ever get over that one.

Hahah.

The whole Star Wars thing was inspired by me going to see the new movie today. (12/31/15)

Go Rey and BB8! Wooo

It's New Year's Eve for me, but you'll be reading this in 2016. :o woaaaah.

Haha I hope you laughed at this chapter. It was pretty fun to write.

With love,

.j