Chapter 29

Scarlet's Pov

I could taste the rubbery leather in my mouth as I desperately tried to bite into his flesh, but the glove was thick and he didn't seem to even flinch. I kicked and screamed, slamming my elbow into his chest - but he was too determined to notice. He hushed me gently, dragging my feet along the hospital car-park which was pitch black and deadly. I could hear sirens wail and my stomach turned. I could feel it in my bones - tonight was the beginning of the end. He released his hand from around my waist, but tightly kept my mouth covered with the other, preventing me for screaming out as people obliviously passed us by. He fished into his jacket pocket and pulled out his car keys before forcing them into the lock for the boot of his car. My eyes widened - was he going to put me in there?

"I'm sorry, Scarlet, but I can't take any chances." He whispered into my ear, pulling a piece of rope out of the boot.

I screeched loudly, trying to wiggle out of his grip as he slammed the boot shut and forced open the passenger side door. He released my mouth, and finally I could speak. As he roughly forced my body down and into the seat I pounded my balled up fists against his hard and tense chest, but he just ignored me punches and screams.

"TOMMY!" I screamed. "What are you doing? Tommy, let me go. Let me go this instant." I demanded, looking into his tear-filled eyes.

"If I let you go, you'll get yourself killed." He whispered painfully, grabbing hold of my wrists. "I can't trust you not to run." He breathed, whipping the rope around my writs, bounding them together, tightly.

"Are you insane?" I cried out, shocked by his actions as he tied the rope into a knot, and it now bit into my raw skin.

"No. You are. You just fucking gave Charlie King permission to kill you, and now I need to do this to keep you safe." He screamed, angrily slamming the door over before he kicked into the side of the car with a loud and unforgiving thud. I watched him out of the window, pacing back and forth with his hands behind his head, cursing loudly to himself.

I choked, falling back into the chair as I struggled to breathe. This couldn't be happening. This had to be a dream. All of it had to be some sort of sick dream. He slipped into the drivers seat and wasted no time. Within the blink of an eye we were on the road, whizzing past the beeping traffic and angry drivers.

"Scarlet, why did you call Jack? I - He hates Charlie." He shook his head in confusion but kept his eyes focused on the road ahead of us.

I scoffed, feeling the back of my throat burn with both fear and anticipation. "Jack's been working for Charlie for months. I wanted to tell you, but he threatened me. He's an evil, lying, conniving piece of shit."

His hands tightened around the steering wheel and his eyes turned dark. His mouth opened in shock, and he still couldn't believe what I had just told him. Jack was his best friend. His best friend who had been leading a double life for months now.

"Fuck." He breathed, slamming his hand down on the wheel, causing the car horn to echo around the silent town. "You really can't trust anyone, can you? I mean, Jack? My best-friend - working for the enemy."

"No, you can't." I hissed, turning to face him with angry eyes. "Trust. Anyone."

He tilted his head to the side and his eyes glowed, bulging as he looked at me in astonishment. "What are you trying to say, that you don't trust me?"

"Should I?" I screamed, feeling my anger force it's way to the surface.

"Of course you fucking should! I'm your friend, Scarlet." I had never seen him so angry before.

He slammed his foot down on the brake, slamming my body into the seat with jolting force as the car came to a terrifying stop. He glanced around at me, his jaw clenched and his eyes sharp.