Chapter 1- Street Corners, Inadequate Clothing, and the Color Red

Chapter 1

Street Corners, Inadequate Clothing, and the Color Red

That night, I walked through the bad part of town.

    The place people seem to try to forget as soon as its convenient. The kind of place where you would expect drug deals going down on every corner. Where young uneducated men stood in groups flashing their bling whenever possible.

    It was the sort of place where when people ask “Hey, how you doing?”, its not because they really want to know, its because they really want your money. Or sex. Maybe both, take your pick.

    Heck, across the street from the only daycare in town, was an adult theater where the kids parents probably worked.

    So what was I, a barely eighteen year old girl, doing walking the back allies at three in morning, in  apart of town where you could expect to be mugged in broad daylight on the main drag?

    I wasn’t looking to be killed.

    In fact, it was the exact opposite. I was planning to kill someone, or better yet, something. Some evil pale bloodsucking thing.

    Vampires people, I’m talking about vampires. Justin Bieber isn’t on my hit list. At least not yet.

    I hadn’t had much success so far, but it was only three fifteen. That’s like middle of the day for vampires. Okay, so I was really close to giving up. Right now I could really use a snuggie. I could just imagine slipping into my plush rose patterned snuggie that I was given for Christmas a few weeks ago. Some hot cocoa would nice too. Especially the way I make it with actual melted chocolate and cinnamon. What would also be nice is--

    A small skittering noise broke me from my reverie. I fingered my pistol that was secure in my shoulder holster and narrowed my eyes to try to see into the dark crevices of the alleyway.

    I stayed that way for a few breathless moments. After spending a minute straining my senses and staying prepared for an attack, I relaxed. It was probably just a rat or something.

    “Stupid parasites” I muttered while silently cursing my attire. “I mean it’s skanky and its black and everything!” 

    I tugged on my mini dress futilely attempting to cover my bare legs from the biting cold. I was hoping to attract a vamp, who my more experienced hunting buddies said can actually be quite pervy.  Okay, so my brothers said that and I probably shouldn’t have listened. Honestly though, who else could I have asked for advice? Not many people are direct descendants of a very long line of vampire hunters.

    Just as I was about to call it a night, I felt a warm gust of air as someone whispered,

                                                        “ I prefer red.”