Chapter 15: New techniques

"So Lemonpaw, you can already hunt, right?" Olivetail asks.

"Yes, else I would probably be very thin right now!" Lemonpaw laughs.

"I see," Olivetail chuckles.

Lemonpaw was pleased at how well she was getting on with her new mentor. The pair were in the forest together on a hunting patrol, as Olivetail wanted to see her skills.

It seems that things are finally looking up. Lemonpaw thought. And I can't wait to show Olivetail how I hunt. Though perhaps I'd better stray from using obvious Treeclan techniques...

Lemonpaw raised her chin into the air and sniffed around for prey. She turned each of her ears independently and locked onto the sound of a young vole near the stream.

She nodded to Olivetail! and began to creep silently towards the stream. She laid each pawstep down carefully and held her body and tail low, so as not to startle her prey.

Once close enough, Lemonpaw pounced and killed the vole with a swift bite.

"Incredible! Well done Lemonpaw! You've impressed me." Olivetail purred, wrapping his tail around her.

"Let's see if you and I can work together to catch some larger prey, shall we?" He nudged her flank.

Olivetail quickly buried Lemonpaw's vole under a pine tree and led Lemonpaw deeper into Lilyclan territory.

The pair came across a large magpie, scouring the bushes for food.

The bird knocked a long bramble onto the forest floor, its stem covered in fresh blackberries.

Olivetail dipped his head to Lemonpaw at their opportunity. Lemonpaw understood the signal and approached the magpie by circling it from the outside.

As Lemonpaw walked up to the black-and-white bird, there was a clatter of wings as it escaped her grasp. Then suddenly, Olivetail leapt from
the bushes as the bird took flight, and caught it mid-air in his jaws. He pulled the huge bird to the ground and gave it the killing blow.

"Good work Lemonpaw!" Olivetail beamed. "You and I make a great team!"

"H-how did you do that?" Lemonpaw questions. "You... caught it in mid-flight!"

"Ah! That is a skill I will teach you now, Lemonpaw." He mused.

After their session, Olivetail led Lemonpaw back to the camp. He insisted that she should carry the magpie and he took Lemonpaw's vole in his jaws, along with a shrew he had caught himself.

***Time Pass***

"Wow! Did you really catch that?!" Frogpaw's eyes gleamed.

Lemonpaw could only nod around the long feathers. I'll tell her the whole story later in the apprentice's den. She thought to herself.

Other cats, including a senior warrior called Dragonclaw, also came up to her to praise and congratulate her kill. Though it was mostly Olivetail. She thought.

Still, Lemonpaw enjoyed the fuss and attention she was getting from her new clanmates and she finally felt comfortable again. Catching a large kill like this with Olivetail, makes me think about that time when Sycamoretail and I caught that rabbit...

AN: Yey! Quick update for you guys! I now this chapter was short, but it's mostly filler for the next few parts! The book will be coming to a close soon, so I hope you all enjoyed it, and please feel free to leave any comments or advice! Last few chapters coming soon! :) And thanks again for reading! :)