1: The New Fairy

The New Fairy

       Ice. You could feel it everywhere. The wind blew it through the summer morning, filling the atmosphere with unexpected coldness. Children afraid to expose themselves to the strange winter winds, desperate to not be outside too long, ran through the streets leaving a trail of scarves twisting like fire in the ice air behind them. Parents shut their windows and set a fireplace alight. They were angered and disappointed by such imperfect weather ruining their perfect summer. Though strangely enough there was one perfectly plump, rosy-cheeked baby girl sitting in her cot in the heart of England who was fascinated and delighted by these weathers. She felt the wind pour over her face as she was wriggling there by the open window, and she laughed. The laugh was proud, full of delight and it showed her very peculiar interest for such a wind at such a time. It was her first laugh.

       When a baby laughs for the first time it's a magical laugh, it represents her opinions and personality, her heart, though more importantly, every time a baby laughs their first laugh, a fairy is born. Most fairies stay on the mainland, the same place that all the babies and humans live. Yet there are a few rare laughs that produce a fairy magical enough to make it to Pixie Hollow in Neverland. This was of course one of those laughs.

       The laugh, sprung freshly from a giggling baby, flew into the morning sky. Yet it was quickly trapped inside the hated winter wind on that summers day. The laugh full of fresh joy, wriggled and writhed in the wind but found no escape. Instead the wind pushed the laugh upwards, towards the sky and the stars. Towards a particular star, second to the right, and through it went the laugh. That harsh wind had carried the laugh of the baby who gained such enjoyment from from the wind to Neverland.

       The laugh twisted through the air, swayed with the wind and dived with the birds until the laugh found Pixie Hollow. Fairies and Sparrow Men watched excitedly as the laugh weaved through the leaves of Pixie Hollow, following the wind to the Home Tree. Fairies all around called encouragement to their new companion, and helped the laugh on it's way.

       Eventually, the laugh landed gracefully on the top most platform of the Home Tree, kept safe by leaves and branches. A young sparrow man, the pixie dust keeper of Pixie Hollow, approached the laugh and carefully poured glistening pixie dust upon the laugh. But now the laugh changed. The laughed glowed and fluttered. It sparkled and twinkled until finally the laugh was replaced by a beautiful, young fairy - me.

       I rubbed my eyes with dainty, soft hands and elegantly rose to my feet. I looked up, exploring my senses, but then quickly hopped backwards in fright. "Woah, you scared me!" I could see some fairies giggled and smiled at this, there were so many of them! I spun around to look at my surroundings, I could feel my long, auburn hair swishing along my back. Everything inside of me was waking up, every sight was pristine, every sound was booming and clear, every smell was refreshing.

       Something sparkled on my back; my own wings slowly opened, catching the light perfectly. I felt my feet leave the ground and my dress of laugh twinkle under a thousand lights. I was flying. Up in the air, I twirled, others clapped, I hovered for a second, I could see everything from up here, but then I floated back down.

       "You are a very talented flyer." A light, wisdomous voice flowed through the branches, soon followed by a tall, gorgeous fairy, dressed entirely in gold, with perfect almond eyes and a smile of truth.

       "I am Queen Clarion, welcome to Pixie Hollow Annabell."

       "H-hello. " I squeaked. She had given me a name, I was Annabell.

       "Are you ready to discover your talent?"

       "I - um...Yes. Yes I am." I took a deep breathe and found my confidence.