6

6

Layla

I rip off his shirt pressing it on his wound like they do on TV. Derek calls an ambulance. Jason looks at peace opening and closing his eyes.

"Please." I pray. He can not leave me this way. After everything we went through I can't lose him. This is my fault I should have checked on him earlier.

"Don’t cry. I’ll be happy when I die." I want to slap him so much right now for saying that.

"No! Jason, keep your eyes open." His eyes flutter close with a smile on his face as the EMTs come in his room.

"Miss we got him." A young EMT tells me. I step back and let them take him to the ambulance.

Derek

She looks so lost when she follows the EMTs out the house. In her hand is his phone that she is clutching dearly. It rings causing her to look down. She starts sobbing when she goes to answer it.

"Mrs. Blake, I’m sorry." She cries. I get closer and I can hear his mom.

"Why, darling?" She has a slight Southern accent.

"He tried again but he missed. He’s on his way to the hospital. I am sorry I….." But his mom hangs up on her. The look on her face is something I can’t even describe. The way she looks is something I can't describe with her staring off in the distance where the ambulance went and her bloody clothes.

"Can you take me home?" She asks.

"Yeah sure." The ride there is silent.

"Thanks. You can go I’m driving to the hospital in Matt's car. I’ll come get my car sooner or later." She quietly says before jogging into the house. Did I bully him to death?

Layla

"Matt!" I yell.

"In the living room." Turning the corner they’re all sitting there watching TV.

"Oh My God! Whose blood is that?" Callie yells getting up.

"Matt, can I borrow your car? I left mine at Derek’s." He looks at me like I have 3 heads.

"Sure." I nod before jogging up the stairs to my room to grab Jason’s hoodie. I put the hoodie on and Matt stops me.

"What happened?" He looks in my eyes.

"Jason tried to commit suicide I have to go."

"Again?!" Cammie laughs. That makes my eye twitch because she thinks me losing him is funny. 

"If I hear you talk about him one more time I swear I will hurt you!" I growl in her face.

"I’m coming with you." Matt grabs his jacket and his keys from me.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

"Did you come here for Jason Blake?" A female doctor asks me.

"Yes. How is he?"

"We put him in a medically induced coma so he can heal. He is very lucky. You can go in to see him. His parents just arrived a few minutes ago." When I walk in his mom immediately rushes over to me.

"I’m sorry for hanging up. I just didn’t want to accept it as true." She apologizes.

"I understand. I’m sorry I let this happen."

"Darling, you didn’t let anything happen. He’s just been depressed but I’m glad you were there." She pats my back.

"I’m going to come back tomorrow if that’s okay."

"Yeah, sure. I sure he would love that. As much as I hate to ask could you be here for him? We have to go on a month long business trip in Hawaii. I wish we could miss it but we have to go."

"Oh sure I will be here for him. I hope you have a safe trip."

Matt waits for me as we walk out the hospital. He drives me to Derek’s house so I can get my car. Before he lets me out the car he kisses my forehead firmly. Derek is no where in sight when I look around the house. Getting in my car I drive past Jason’s house before I turn back to get to my house. Most of the lights are off when I walk in the house. In the living room Matt sits there with his head in his hands.

"Matt." I croak at as the tears start up. Everything that happened just caught up to me. Flashes of blood crosses my vision as I stand in the doorway.

"Oh, baby girl." He comes to me wrapping his arms around me.

We sit on the couch where I cry my tears on his chest. He murmurs encouraging words to me. He prays for Jason because anything that could possibly help him is needed. When the tears are finally dried Matt carries me to my room. He lets me change for bed then he sits on my bed.

"Is that his hoodie?" He gently inquires.

"Yeah." I play with a loose hem on the bottom.

"Layla, what’s happening with us? You’ve been snapping at me and Callie. You have been getting more distant from me. When did you start hanging out with Jason?”

"Well when he first tried I visited him at the clinic I went at least twice a week. I hung out with him when he came back to school. Derek started getting really possessive around him. One day he came to school with bruises all over him." I huddle my arms around my legs.

"Do you know who beat him up?"

"No. Everyone bullied him. Matt, is this my fault? Should I have stopped them?" Tears welled up again.

"This is not your fault. These kids at your school are horrible. I mean I’m not that much older than you but no one ever acted like that when I was in high school."

"You have no idea."