Saving Aden (10): Falling Down

Start from the beginning

“Alright,” Gage murmured, sounding relieved. 

“Has anyone showed up at the house?” I asked, turning the car onto Aden’s street.

“No,” he replied, “everything is normal here.”

“Good. I think you should head on back to the apartment then. I’ll be home later to shower,” I told him.

Gage didn’t seem too keen with the idea of leaving me on my own. “Are you sure, babe? I don’t have a problem with staying outside and keeping a lookout...”

“Gage, that’s my job. Not yours.”

“Well yeah, but you can’t blame me for being a little worried.” Funny, he sounds more than just a little worried, I thought dryly. “I mean, for Christ’s sake, babe, you’ve had more action protecting Aden for two weeks than some Guardians have in six months.”

“Don’t worry about it. Aden will be fine.”

He paused for a few brief moments before replying, “I’m not just worried about the kid, babe. I want you in one piece too.”

Jesus Christ, I groaned internally. Is it “confuse the hell out of Arianna day” today? Did I miss the memo or something? First Aden kisses me, now Gage is getting all mushy on me... I just want to do my job.

“We’re almost at the house so I’ve gotta go,” I said quickly, doing my best to ignore his comment. “Go home, Gage. I’ll see you tonight.”

I ended the call as soon as the words left my mouth. I couldn’t deal with an argument with Gage about whether or not he should stay, and I certainly wasn’t stable enough at the moment to hear him say he loved me when he said goodbye--a typical thing Gage did. 

“Are Kaylee and my mom alright?” Aden asked from beside me, his voice hesitant. 

“They’re perfectly fine,” I promised him as I steered the vehicle into his driveway. 

Aden moved to get out of the car, but I stopped him. 

“We have to tidy ourselves up,” I murmured, pulling down the visor so I could check my appearance. “We look like...well, like we’ve been in a car chase.”

“No shit,” he muttered, chuckling. “So did Gage leave or what? ‘Cause I don’t see him.”

“Yeah, he’s gone,” I answered, fluffing my hair. “I told him I could handle things from here, and that I’d see him later tonight. “

“You’re leaving?” I glanced back at Aden to find a horrified look written across his face.

My brow furrowed in response. “Yes. Are you okay with that?” I asked cautiously. 

His worry disappeared almost as quick as it’d appeared, transforming into a mask of masculine pride. “Psh, of course. Why wouldn’t I be?”

I shrugged indifferently. “How’s my hair?” I asked him, trying to change the subject. 

A  smirk slowly spread its way across his lips. “It’s perfect,” he replied, the tops of his cheeks turning pink. 

If it was possible, I probably would’ve been blushing right along with him.

“I think were good to head inside now,” I mumbled, grabbing the door handle and pushing forward, before exiting the car. 

Aden followed my lead, snatching his bag up from the floor, he got out of the car, took the keys I handed him, and then trailed behind me as I headed for the front door.