“Oh shut up,” Patrick grumbled angrily.

“Whatever,” Aria said, clearly not caring about the conversation anymore.

Patrick huffed and turned his head to look at the field again. Then he turned his head slightly more and looked at me. His eyes widened a little when they met mine and I snapped my head away. My cheeks flushed when I realized I had been staring at him. I was always so freaking strange. I only wanted to be normal, but when I did weird shit like that, there was no way it was a possibility.

I put all my energy for almost the next two hours into staring at Rikert. He really was amazing out there. It was no wonder to me that he was captain, and it was almost like he was born to be a forward. The way he ruled the field brought a stupid grin to my face.

I’m not saying he didn’t make mistakes or anything, because this is real life. He lost the ball a lot and he fell just as often as the other guys on both teams did. But he was a great sport and an equally good player. He scored two of the three goals against the other team.

Our school did end up winning, but that had more to do with our defenders and Jaxon. Rikert hadn’t been joking last weekend when he said Jaxon was good at being goalie. It was like he had reflexes better than a cat. He only let one goal through and that barely even made it past the tips of his fingers.

I did notice that Kieran was at the game with Drew and his friends, but I tried not to sulk about it. He still wasn’t talking to me and I was too scared to try and reach out to him. The longer I thought about what I said to him, the more worried I got. He had been a good friend to me, I was starting to realize. And I just threw him away because he was making things difficult for me. Kieran was stubborn. He wouldn’t forgive me easily, and I knew he hadn’t been joking when he said he was done with me for being with Rikert. Either way it still stung that he could give up on me like that.

While the crowd was still buzzing and music was playing over the loudspeakers, I made my way down to the fence opening with my cousins to where the team exited the field. I watched as Aria skipped ahead and threw herself at Jaxon. He was all smiles as he grabbed the back of Aria’s thighs to haul her up. She wrapped her legs around his waist and her arms around his neck as they started to hug and kiss.

I walked next to Patrick, and Phoebe was trailing behind moodily, as we headed towards Aria and her boyfriend. I rolled my eyes happily at the two until Rikert ran up to me. He grabbed my arm and spun me around, our lips crashing against each others right away. We kissed for a few moments until we heard a throat clearing.

I pulled back but Rikert pulled me to his chest in a tight hug. I smiled at the contact. Patrick was looking at us, shifting from foot to foot with an uncomfortable expression on his face. Phoebe was glaring daggers at me and I thought I might start bleeding out from the stabs she was mentally placing on my body.

“Did you guys have fun watching the game?” Rikert asked everyone.

Phoebe crossed her arms and Aria and Jaxon walked over, hand-in-hand. I could almost throw up at how cute they looked together.

“Yeah, you guys did great,” Patrick offered. Aria nodded her head in agreement and Jaxon kissed her on the cheek.

I squeezed Rikert tighter and pressed my cheek against his chest over his Jersey. He was all sweaty and dirty from playing in the game, but I had never loved him more. I had never seen him look so incredibly sexy. It was all I could do not to beg him to take me out tonight. But I couldn’t do that because everybody was going to be at mine and Patrick’s house tonight for my uncle Scott’s birthday dinner.

“Congratulations, babe,” I told my boyfriend.

Rikert grinned down at me. The six of us talked for a few minutes before Jaxon ran off to shower. He was shortly followed by Rikert, who kissed me and promised to call me tomorrow. I ignored the suffocating feeling of separation and turned my attention to walking back to the parking lot with the others.