Part 10

A/N: I was reading up on trials and such and realized how confusing it all really is. So how I've written this is not how a trial would go down in the real world, but I didn't think I could describe it very well.

Last chapter, though! Very sad, but very excited that this is almost finished. The In Love and Death series is my favorite thing I've written on this account. So I hope you guys have enjoyed it as well. Vote? Comment? Love.

. . . . .

This was no normal trial or hearing. The boy that I had beaten, Scott Jameson, and his family didn't like having all eyes on them and what happened. Even though everyone in town knew about what I had done, the Jameson family wanted the hearing to be behind closed doors. It would only be them, the judge, Doctor Gram, my mother and I. And possibly my father if he even bothered to show up.

Doctor Gram was the last one to give his take on what happened that night, all the other witness statements heard before hand were the reason I had been forced into therapy sessions to begin with. Even though each person who had seen what I had done still said that before the incident I was just like any of them. Innocent.

That had given the judge a reason to believe that I may have acted on an impulse that Scott Jameson was a bad person. Which the judge would find out today was the truth. It was hard to believe that my future would be decided in just a few hours.

"Cal?" My mother poked her head into my room before she fully opened the door and stepped inside. "How are you feeling?"

I shook my head as I stared at myself through my mirror, once again loosening the tie around my neck. I could hear my mother sigh behind me as she stepped up and fixed the tie for me. I kept my eyes on the ceiling not want to meet my mother's gaze. I knew if I did she would ask if I was all right... and I was, I think. I just had to hope that Doctor Gram would stick to his word. This was all riding on him now.

It had been over a week since I had last seen or spoken to Skyler. I knew we were over and it hadn't even truly started yet. I had no idea who she was with or what she was doing. I didn't know if Jacob had hurt her again after I left their house. I didn't know anything and it was driving me insane. I was more worried about her than myself and that scared me a little.

"Are you ready?" My mother spoke quietly once she had fixed my tie and flattened out the wrinkles on my button up shirt.

I let out a long breath before I nodded. "I'm ready."

. . . . .

"All rise."

I stood from my seat at one of the two large wooden tables set up in front of the bench where the judge would take her seat. She walked into the room, surveying the people around me before finally sitting down. I cleared my throat as I glanced at my public defender who nodded as if to say it was okay for me to take my seat once again.

As I did so, my eyes scanned the tiny courtroom. Large windows let light flood into the room from all sides and as I turned slightly in my seat I caught a glimpse of Scott, who sat at the other table a few feet away from me. To my surprise I felt nothing as he stared back at me with an emotion I could only read as pure hatred. I wondered if I ever saw Skyler again if she would look at me the same way as he was now.

My body turned just ever so slightly more so I could see Doctor Gram out of the corner of my eye. The judge was speaking, but I wasn't listening as Doctor Gram stood from his seat and came toward the front of the room.

"Doctor Gram." He gave a slight nod toward the judge as he took his seat at the stand. "Mr. Hood was asked to see you once a week for the past nine weeks. Did he complete that task?"