Chapter Thirteen

“Connor, what’s going on?” I asked. “Why did people want Riley and Toby to sing more today when we went to Abbie’s party? Why did they sing the same song you sang to me the other night? Where does Abbie know you from? When you guys first met, she said she knew you from somewhere, but when she started to say where, you interrupted her. What’s going on?” Connor sighed. “I didn’t want to tell you any of this… I hoped that I could keep it a secret.” Connor said. I looked at him, waiting for him to go on. “I’m in a band. Riley, Toby and I are the face of a band called Before You Exit. Braiden plays guitar for us and Thomas plays the drums. Whenever we play concerts, Chris plays the bass. Riley used to but he likes singing and jumping around the stage more so that’s what he does now. We have three albums out, A Short Story Long, Letting Go, and I Like That. The song I sang you the other night, Soldier, is on our third album.” Connor told me.

            “So it’s just a song? It didn’t mean a thing?” I asked. “NO!” Connor cried. “Nicole, I meant everything! I have meant everything I have ever told you!” “I’m smelling bullshit here.” I said. “Nicole, seriously, the only reason I didn’t tell you before was because I didn’t want to be used again. People have used me for my fame, even though it isn’t actually much, and I didn’t want that to happen again. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you, but you have to believe me!” Connor said. “I want to, but…” Tears pricked at my eyes, threatening to fall. “Nicole, why would I lie to you?” Connor asked. “I don’t know, you did already.” I said. “No I didn’t!” Connor cried. “I didn’t lie to you at all! I just didn’t tell you one thing about me.” “Yeah, a major thing about you!” I yelled. “I’m sorry!” Connor cried. “I didn’t want to hurt you!” “Too late!” I cried.

            “I’m sorry!” Connor cried again. “I’m sorry that I didn’t tell you!” “You’re not sorry you didn’t tell me, you’re sorry I found out anyways.” I said. “That’s not true!” Connor yelled. “Don’t you think I would avoid the conversation if I didn’t want you to find out at all? Do you think I would have sang to you if I didn’t want you to find out that I could sing? Do you really think I would have introduced you to all my friends?” Connor looked straight at me. “IF I DIDN’T WANT YOU TO FIND OUT WOULD WE EVEN BE HAVING THIS CONVERSATION RIGHT NOW?!” Connor yelled. “Nicole, if I REALLY didn’t want you to know, why would I tell you all of this? Why would I explain it? Why would I apologize for keeping it a secret?” I sighed. Deep down, I knew he was right.

            “I don’t know…” I said quietly. Connor walked towards me and placed his hands on my shoulders. “Nicole, I’m really sorry that I didn’t tell you” Connor said. “Do you forgive me?” I nodded and Connor pulled me into a hug. “I’m sorry for being a bitch about it.” I said. “It’s okay, don’t worry about it.” Connor said. He let go of me and tucked my hair behind me ear. “I’m sorry.” He said again. “I forgive you.” I said. Connor smiled and I turned away and went upstairs. I went to my room and shut the door. I laid down on the bed and stared up at the ceiling. Within a few hours, I was sound asleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            “Mommy, I’m hot!” Cried a little girl. She walked by me and waved. I smiled and waved back. “Mommy, can we go swimming?” She asked. “We’ll go when we get home, sweetheart.” Her mother said. “Okay!” She cried happily. “Nicole!” Someone cried. I looked up and saw Abbie walking towards me. “Yeah?” I asked. “What’s up?” She asked. “Is that really all you wanted?” I asked, laughing. Abbie nodded. “Just waiting until lunch.” I said. “How are you and Connor?” She asked. I shrugged. “In all honesty, I’m not quite sure” I said. “We got into a fight last night.” “No way!” Abbie cried. I nodded. “I asked Riley why everyone kept wanting he and Toby to keep singing and why they sang the same song that he sang me when we went out. Riley and Toby just exchanged looks and he said ‘Connor didn’t tell you’ and then said I needed to talk to Connor. When we got home Toby and Riley exchanged looks again and then they went upstairs and Connor and I yelled about everything for at least fifteen minutes. He told me he was sorry for not telling me, after a few times of him apologizing I forgave him, but that doesn’t change the fact that we got into a fight. I didn’t see him this morning, I got Riley to bring me to work this morning.”