Chapter Four

“BOYS, DINNER!” Joan yelled from downstairs. Footsteps entered the hallway and pounded on the steps as whoever it was ran down. There was a knock on my door. “Come in.” I said. The door slowly opened and Connor poked his head inside. “Are you hungry?” Connor asked. “I haven’t eaten today, so yes.” I said. “Let’s go then, its dinnertime.” I got off the bed and followed Connor downstairs. Everyone else was already seated at the table. Connor pulled my chair out and I sat down and he took his seat next to me. “Hi, I’m Mark, Connor’s dad.” A man at the end of the table said. “You must be Nicole.” I nodded and he smiled. “It’s nice to meet you.” He said. I know realized where Riley and Toby got their looks from.

            Mark prayed over the food and we started to eat when there was a knock on the door. The door opened and a tall, brunette guy who looked about Connor’s age walked in. “Hey Mama McDonough!” He cried. “Chris!” Riley cried. The boy, whose name is apparently Chris came inside and sat down next to Riley. “Who’s the girl?” Chris asked, pointing to me with his head. “My friend Nicole.” Connor said. “Oh and Chris, mind you manners, please.” “Yes sir!” Chris cried. He saluted Connor and shoved mashed potatoes in his mouth. Connor sighed and shook his head. “What’s on the schedule for tomorrow?” Chris asked. “NO business at the table.” Mark said. “Yes sir.” Chris said. I have a feeling that this time he wasn’t being a smartass when he said it.

            “So Nicole, how’d you meet Connor?” Riley asked. “I ran into him.” I said. “Actually, I ran into her.” Connor corrected. “You brought home a girl you met on the street?” Toby asked. “Why would you do that? You have no idea who she is!” I sniffed and wiped away a tear. Everyone turned to look at me and realized I was crying. “I’m sorry…” Toby said. “I didn’t mean…” “Whatever.” I said. I shoved potatoes in my mouth and stared at my plate. Dinner was eaten in silence after that. The only sound coming from the clinking of silverware against the plates. After I finished I took my plate into the kitchen and placed it in the sink then I slowly walked upstairs and shut my door. I took off my jacket and tossed it on the end of the bed.

            I went into my bag and grabbed the small, black box I always keep under my pillow. I took out the small razor blade and relaxed as I once again felt the cool touch of the comforting piece of metal. I held it up to my arm and drug the blade across my skin. Tears ran down my face and dropped to my arm, diluting the blood that dripped down my arm. There was a knock at the door and I jumped, jerking the blade down my arm more in the process. The door opened and Connor looked inside. “Nicole!” he cried when he saw me. He rushed over to me and sat down next to me on the bed. He wrapped his arms around me and held me tightly. “Nicole…” Connor said again. “Why?” “Everything is falling apart.” I said through my tears. “I can't do this. I came here to get away from all the shit I go through and it’s not changing anything!” I cried.

            Connor grabbed a tissue off the table next to my bed and held it against my arm. He took the razor from my hand and put it back in the box. “It’s okay…” Connor said, placing his arms around me again. I leaned towards him and cried into his chest, sobbing uncontrollably. “It’s going to be okay.” Connor said. “I’m here for you and I won't ever leave you. I promise.” Connor let go of me and laid down on the bed. He patted the bed and I moved next to him. I leaned over and put my head on his shoulder. Connor wrapped his arms around me again and started to sing. In a heartbeat, I’ll take you with me. I just wanna get to you. You’re throwing me off beat, so I can’t breathe. I just wanna get to show you. If we’re falling apart, I will fight for your heart, I can be your shield, I will fight on the field. Baby when our life gets colder, I’ll be your soldier.

The Great Escape (Book One)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें