Chapter Ten

• Dedicated to Toby McDonough (Just because I can)

            MAYBE IT’S NOT MY WEEKEND, BUT IT’S GONNA BE MY YEAR AND I’M SO SICK OF WATCHING THE MINUTES PASS AS I GO NOWHERE AND THIS IS MY REACTION, TO EVERYTHING I FEAR, CAUSE I’VE BEEN GOING CRAZY, I DON’T WANNA WASTE ANOTHER MINUTE HERE!

            My phone went off and I put my pillow over my head to block out the noise. I don’t want to answer it and I don’t want to get out of bed. “Can I come in?” Riley asked, knocking on my door. I groaned and Riley opened the door. “That wasn’t a yes.” I said. “Sorry.” Riley said. “Whatever.” I said, not moving. “Can we talk?” Riley asked. “You’re talking now.” I told him. “Nicole, seriously…” Riley said. “I’m being serious!” I cried.

            IF THESE SHEETS WERE THE STATES AND YOU WERE MILES AWAY, I’D FOLD THEM END OVER END AND BRING YOU CLOSER TO ME! CAUSE I DON’T SLEEP AT ALL WITHOUT YOU PRESSED UP AGAINST ME! I’LL SETTLE FOR LONG DISTANCE CALLS I’M LOST IN EMPTY PILLOW TALK AGAIN!

            “WHAT TO PEOPLE WANT FROM ME?!” I yelled, throwing my pillow across the room. I sat up and grabbed my phone; one call from a number I didn’t know, one call from Abbie and a few texts from Anthony. “Are you okay?” Riley asked. “I don’t know” I said. “I’m tired and I don’t want to go to work and I just… I don’t know.” I sighed. “Do you need Connor?” Riley asked. “No, I’ll be okay. I’ll just go take a shower and get something to eat and then I should be fine.” I said. “Okay, if you’re sure…” Riley said. I nodded. “What did you need to talk to me about?” I asked. “Oh uh nevermind. I forget…” Riley said. “Oh and you don’t have to go to work today. They’re calling for rain again so you don’t have to go.” “Okay, thanks.” I said. Riley nodded and left my room and I got up to get my clothes.

            I sighed and went to pick up the pillow I threw a few minutes earlier. I grabbed my phone and scrolled through my texts to see what Anthony wanted.

Nicole, where are you? I want to come see you and I want you to meet Kelsey.

Nicole! Please answer me. I won't tell dad, I promise.

Nicole, I’m not in Arizona, I couldn’t tell dad if I wanted to.

There are ways to find you, you know that right? I mean, if dad really wanted to he could file a missing child report and find you.

I won't tell dad, Nicole. I just want to see my sister. Please tell me where you’re at…

I know you hate dad but don’t take it out on me. I don’t hate you and I have never (and will never) hurt you.

Nicole, come on. I’m the one who kept you safe whenever we found mom that one night. If I kept you safe then, why would I harm you now?

Please Nicole… I just want to see my sister. It’s been years and I miss you.

            I sighed and threw my phone on the bed. I grabbed my clothes and went to the bathroom to take a shower. I turned on the water and let it run over me. I sat down on the floor of the tub and reached out of the shower and grabbed the small box that I had brought in with my clothes. I held the razor blade in my hand and took it across my skin. I watched as the blood mixed with the water and wash down the drain. I stared at my bleeding thighs and arms and put the blade back in the box. I closed my eyes and put my head on the wall of the bathtub. There was a knock on the door and I jumped. “Nicole, honey, are you alright?” Joan asked. “Yes ma’am, I’ll be out shortly.” I said. “Alright, just checking on you.” Joan said. I stood up and finished bathing and stepped out of the shower.