Learning To Dance

It was lunchtime at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and at the Gryffindor table, there sat the Marauders.

"Can we go borrow Aunt Mione's time turner so we can murder whoever invented homework?" Fred Weasley said, to no one in general. Grunts of approval answered him, from Dom, Laurel, and James, all focused on homework. Dom's eyes widened, and her mouth thinned into a small smile.

"What are you thinking about?" Laurel asked, noticing her face when she had an idea, a good one at that.

"Nothing, it's just McGonagall's teaching the fourth year Gryffindors how to dance for the Winter Ball today." Dom smiled slyly. "Luckily, my mum's already taught me to dance." Laurel groaned and let her head bang on the table.

"I suck at dancing." She muttered and felt a pat on her back.

"It's ok." James said, laughing. "We all do, except Domi." Laurel raised her head and smiled at the Potter.

"At least I'm not the only one."

*time skip brought to you by the marauder's map*

The fourth year Gryffindors entered the Transfiguration room, the desks missing and an old record player in the center of the area. Professor McGonagall shooed the boys and girls to opposite sides of the room. Dom, Laurel, and Caroline sat together and so did James, Fred, and Aaron. Filch stood beside the record player, scowling. McGonagall cleared her throat.

"As you all know, your first Winter Ball is coming up. Now, this is a very prestigious event, so I won't have you behaving as a bambling, bumbling band of baboons!" McGonagall stated. James and Fred each tried to say that ten times fast, failing each time.

"To dance, is to let the body breathe. Inside every girl, a swan slumbers, longing to jump forth and take flight!" Laurel rolled her eyes and pretended to puke. Dom punched her arm, stopping her. Laurel gave her a "What was that for?" look.

"This is serious!" Dom whispered in her ear.

"Ok, ok!" Laurel answered, putting her head on her hand.

"Inside every boy, a lordly lion prepares to prance. Mr. Weasley?" McGonagall continued.

"Yes ma'am?" Fred answered politely, afraid of what was to come.

"Would you join me please?" The professor extended her hand to him, and he unwillingly took it, the other three Marauders snickering at the sight. Fred walked with her to the center of the room, and stood in front of her.

"Now, place your right hand on my waist." McGonagall instructed. Fred's eyes widened.

"Your what?" He stuttered. Laurel and James made eye contact and laughed as quietly as they could.

"My waist. Filch, if you please?" The professor nodded to Filch and he started to play the music, it's notes echoing nicely in the large room. McGonagall fixed Fred's hands and started to move with the beat, muttering, "One two three, one two three, one two three.."

"Everyone come together!" The girls rose, most eager to start dancing, but Dom had to drag Laurel up from her seat.

"Boys, on your feet!" McGonagall ordered the Gryffindor boys, and they unwillingly stood up and walked towards the girls. Aaron paired up with Dom, and as soon as McGonagall stepped away from him, Fred chose to dance with Caroline. All the boys steered clear from Laurel, which she didn't know why, but she felt relieved she didn't have to dance.