8) Tough Love

{tumblr}
———————-

The door slammed behind him and Liam walked in, he was sore and he was pretty sure he was going to have bruises later. Practice had been terrible today, Scott was extra hard on him, it was like he never caught a break. He dropped his school bag on the floor before he darted up the stairs to his room, slamming that door behind him as well.

"Liam?" He could hear his dad call, he groaned as he flopped down on his bed, his pillows smushing up against his face. He didn't bother replying to his dad, he knew that he would just come in here anyway.

"Liam?" His dad said more quietly as he opened the door. He took one look at his sun, covered in sweat and dirt, laying lazily on his bed and he already knew that the day hadn't gone well. "Is everything okay, kiddo?"

"No," Liam answered bluntly, he knew his voice sounded sharp, but he couldn't' help it. He was angry with Scott for being so hard on him, and he was angry with himself for letting the team down and missing almost every pass.

"Do you want to talk about it?" His dad asked, sitting on the edge of Liam's bed. He knew his son had a temper, but he didn't care. Liam was his boy and he just wanted to be here for him, he wanted Liam to open up and talk to him. Usually Liam kept things all bottled up inside, but today something seemed to really be bothering him.

Liam rolled over slowly, the rims of his eyes were red and his dad knew that meant that he was going to cry. He sighed sadlly as he motioned for Liam to come closer to him. When Liam scooted to the end of the bed, he let his dad pull him into a hug. "What's going on, kiddo? You can talk to me, you know that."

"It's Scott, he is always so hard on me at practice. He singles me out and makes me look like I don't know what I'm doing. Half the time I look like an ass. I don't know why he picks on me dad, I haven't done anything to him." Liam mumbled, his voice strained as he tried to force the lump forming in his throat back down.

"Scott? Is he the one you like?" Liam's dad asked, he wanted Liam to feel comfortable talking about his crushed to him. Liam had come out to him some time ago, he had been nervous and scared. But his dad didn't care, Liam was his son, he was his pride and joy and there wasn't a thing that Liam could be, say, or do that would change that.

Liam nodded at his dad's question, "Yeah... but i'm pretty sure he hates me. The captain of the lacrosse team hates me." Liam mumbled, he pulled away from his dad's hug and sat up straight. He wiped the tears from his face, "Thanks dad."

"Anytime, son." His dad said, clapping him on the shoulder, "What do you say the two of us just order pizza tonight? You can pick the place."

Liam smiled and nodded, once he picked the place his dad left to go order the pizza. Liam made his way to the bathroom to take a long hot shower, and as the water hit his skin he could feel the tension that was building in his muscles begin to relax. He spent a good amount of time just thinking as he let the water wash over his skin, and when he finally got out of the shower, the pizza was already there.

"Want to watch a movie?" His dad asked as he grabbed two plates, handing one to Liam as they both piled their plates high with pizza. Liam agreed and the two of them took their places on the couch and flipped through the Pay-Per-View movies on cable until they agreed on one.

Halfway through, Liam felt his phone buzz. He looked down to see a text from Scott. He could feel his stomach twist into a knot as he unlocked his phone.

SCOTT: Extra practice tonight???? wanna meet me at the field just me and you?

Liam glanced over at his dad, "Scott wants to meet at the lacrosse field for extra practice." He said, waiting for his dad to give him some advice.