×19×

Levi.

Out of all people, it had to be Levi.

To be honest, I wasn't even happy about it. What was he doing here? Or rather, what was I doing there in his presence? And why did he say my name, instead of the usual 'brat'-nickname he normally went for?

Noticing I was lying on top of a mattress with a thin sheet above me, I got up and looked his way. His piercing eyes looked back at me, as if reading every thought that shot through my head. I had my first question ready.

'What is this place?'

Levi sighed and crossed his legs while leaning back in his chair. 'Take a wild guess, brat,' he said, rolling his dark-coloured eyes unamused, 'your own place has burned down to the ground. You can't go back to your sister, or whatever she is. Plus, I'm here and you know what happened to me.'

I mouthed the words almost invisibly, as the realisation hit me. The room wasn't recognisable, so it just strengthened my suspicions. This place had to be inside the Legion's base. I itched the back of my neck, breathing sharply through my clenched teeth. My mouth was dry and it probably made my breath smell. There was a warm area on my whole chest and shoulders.

'So... How did I get here?' I decided to ask next, while another urgent question laid at the back of my tongue. With anticipation I watched Levi open and close his mouth again.

'Even I don't know.'

I was dumbfounded.

'I was just put here, because they don't trust me,' he added.

'Don't trust you? And then they put you with an ex-teammate?'

Levi breathed in relief. 'I thought you were going to stop at ex,' he mumbled, with a smile tugging on his lips. I tilted my head a little.

'Are we a thing then?'

He frowned and looked at me with big eyes and his mouth half-opened. 'Weren't... We...?' It seemed as if I saw his heart break in a thousand pieces. He stood up and walked over to the mattress I was on and kneeled there beside it. With his index finger he raised my chin up, making me look at him.

'I thought it was obvious, Eren,' he whispered, with my name rolling over his tongue. It awoke a strange feeling inside me.

'Do I need to make it more obvious than it already is for you?'

I gulped, thinking of what he would mean with "making it more obvious". By the ways of what?

'Then, Eren,' he shuffled closer toward me, 'be my boyfriend.'

I chuckled at his more of an order than a question. Typical. I waited a little, before giving a response. It was obvious it made Levi impatient.

'I'd be glad to be your boyfriend, Levi,' I smiled, softening my expression at him. He let go of my chin and just stared at me.

'Your breath smells dirty,' he stated, 'you should eat.'

'But-'

'I'll kiss you after you made your breath smell a bit better, brat. Don't be impatient with me.'

Again, I chuckled. It was a comedic sight. He gave me a piece of bread and some water, as if that'd help much. The bread was dry and unsalted, it tasted awful, but with the thought of it being the only chance I'd get at eating in the back of my head, I managed to chomp it all down. Levi sat beside me, watching me all the while.

'So... Yeah. They're pretty stupid to put us together in one room. You're right about that,' Levi mumbled, raising his nose up in the air, letting his eyes glide over the ceiling. I swallowed the last bits of bread through my throat and eyed him for a while.