l u k e

o n e

- october 11, 2021 -

i hovered over adora as she slept. she was actually snoring and that's how i knew she was in a deep, deep sleep. i wanted to wake her up so bad. i wanted to talk about the future and kaarina until our mouths were too dry to continue. my mind was then filled with images of adora in labor and i realized she needed sleep or she would murder someone. she was so cute.

"mr. hemmings?" our doctor poked his head into our room and looked around until my eyes met his.

"yeah?" i stood out of my chair, preparing myself for good or bad news. my pessimistic side came out and i instantly jumped to bad news, "is everything okay? did michael do something?" 

"everything is fine," he assured me with a warm smile, "if you come with me, you can see your baby and your family can spend some time with her, too."

my eyes drifted over to adora. i didn't want to leave her but i also knew she was just going to sleep. plus, if she woke up i would only be a room away. she probably wanted time to herself, anyway. she always needs time to herself after a nap. then again, she might want the baby. i also wanted the baby.

"a nurse will be in here tidying up so he will be with your wife. it will be okay, mr. hemmings. the mothers usually want time to decompress after birth, anyway. i think her mother is planning on staying with your wife so she won't be alone."

"okay, i'll go," i kissed adora's forehead gently before following the doctor into a room down the hall.

a nurse was holding a bundle of duck covered blankets. she was cooing and bouncing it up and down as she stepped towards me. my hands began to shake and my palms became sweaty. every possible bad outcome flashed through my head as the bundle was placed in my arms. the little bundle turned out to be kaarina. i shakily lowered myself into the chair in the room as she squirmed around in my arms.

"would you like family or friends to come in?" the nurse asked.

"u-um," i stuttered, "whoever fights there way in, i guess."

i moved the blanket out of the way so i could see her round face. i wanted to be loving and have a moment with my daughter but all i could think to do was boop her nose. i instantly retracted my finger, though. knowing me, i would probably find a way to mess something up if i kept touching her.

"it's just a baby, luke. don't be so scared," mrs. busco said softly as she walked towards me.

"i thought you were staying adora," i responded, my voice barely above a whisper.

"i wanted to see my granddaughter instead," she smiled, "how is she?"

"good, i think. she's sleeping," i exhaled shakily. i had no idea why i was so emotional but i hated it.

"you okay, querido?" 

i sniffled and bit down on my lip ring until i tasted blood, "i-i don't know."

"yes you do," she pressed gently. adora and her mother had a way with being able to spill my emotions to them within seconds.

"i miss my mum," i barely choked out, tears threatening to leave my watering eyes.

the tears stung and my lip throbbed but it was nothing in comparison to the pang in my chest. my gut twisted and my chest tightened. everything hurt like it used to when i was eighteen.