Chapter 2: Rule No. 20 &1

When I walked in Nia was dressed in my mother's clothes, and she looked astonishing. Her tan was popping with the white maid- like dress and she looked jubilant, unlike most Rich would be if they were ever caught in that outfit. I was blinded by her grace to see that my sister, Paige, and my mother were arguing.

"This is insane she's a fugitive we could be in serious trouble and this girl doesn't care about anyone but herself, we can turn her in and get enough money for food for the rest of the year," my mom argued.

"She's a person, you don't trade people for food," my sister replied all sweet and caring. She reminded me of my father.

"She's using us, and besides it's these things that got your father killed," my mother shot back. We all got dead silent. The mention of my father almost brought me to tears. He had recently been killed and it was hurting us a lot.

"Mom, she's a teenager not an adult. It was a man not a teeny little girl," I said after what it had seen like a hour of still reticence. My mother sighed leaving the room with my younger sister. When they left I could see that Nia was listening behind the couch in the living room, where we were discussing. The room looked much like the exterior; dark, poor, and the paint job chipping off. The room was all brown with the old cream color faded and abused, and Nia just instantly lit up the room, but the expression on her face begged to differ.

Her eyes sagged now and her jubilant smile now a frown held back. She walked to the room she was staying in. For a second I thought of chasing after her, but what did I have to apologize for? I said nothing wrong, and even if my mom was wrong about Nia, she was just being protective.

Later in the day she had her little bag we have her to store her old clothes. I stopped her before she could walk out the badly painted door.

"Where are you going?" I asked. She kept walking.

"I'm not wanted here and I'm sorry for the trouble I've caused," she whispered as faint as a feather. I grabbed her arm and I could almost see a smile creep in her face, even with her dramatic and upsetting tone.

"Well if I'm not wanted here that doesn't mean we could go...out there," she pointed far out at the border. She grinned and then chuckled as she looked at my startled expression.

"Are you crazy? I was this close to getting caught last time, and you think I would go willingly again?" That's the thing about Nia that I had quickly learned, she made me even consider the most outrageous things. She jokingly gave me a puppy face and pouted.

"Come on Joshy- Poo, don't be a chicken," I just rolled my eyes.

"Yup as if three year old taunting will get me to break a law,"

"Well technically you already broke rule 12 , and technically you're also going to be breaking rule 20, "no going out after 9:00pm," I sighed.

"And I'm probably breaking a bunch of others allowing you to stay here," I muttered to no one in particular, but unfortunately she heard.

"You see, and how do you feel?" She asked giving me her awfully adorable goofy grin.

"Like I'm about to have a heart attack if I break one more rule,"

"...and the adrenaline make you want more?" She added.

"Fine," I gave up. I couldn't miss an opportunity to have an adventure with Nia the beautiful, mysterious Rich.

We went around the house to the back door and slowly opened it halfway. It creaked softly, but we managed to wake no one, impressive since it's a one floor house, and walked outside, allowing the cool breeze to smack my face. I wanted to scream how amazing it was to be out so late; to feel so free.

Nia looked happy herself, twirling and giggling very softly.

"See this is what it's like to feel alive; to be alive," I smiled, although she probably couldn't see me through the dark surrounding.

We came up to the lamp posts, which oddly the lights are turned off at night.

"Nia, why do they turn off the lights of the lamp post, what's the real purpose for them. Why couldn't they have a wall or something?" I queried she only just sighed.

"I don't know everything, but what I do know is that there are security cameras that they can install secretly that would be better than having people guard a wall. These days you can never really trust anyone," when she finished I realized something. Why had I trusted her? Had I let her pearly whites get the better of me, or her luscious dark hair?

"Funny you say that," I muttered under my breath.

"Well I know where the cameras aren't in range, and I can let us get us sometime to touch the forbidden; the lamppost," she sounded so poetic and I loved it, wait she's a total stranger, stop it Josh!

We snuck around to a certain angle of the lamp posts.

"You see if you step out right here without going further, you can cross the border without anyone seeing. It's only a step, but it's one step towards freedom," I was about to call her crazy, but then again, I was the one trusting a total stranger. She grabbed my arm and smiled, dragging me with her. I started to shake in fear, but she whispered, "Don't be a chicken," (An: Oh I love Nia lol) and I instantly tried to look tough. When I crossed the border I thought about all the trouble I could be in, but then all of a sudden I realized I didn't care. I felt like it was just only Nia and I on this entire country; the world even. I couldn't stop staring at the buildings I could barely see, and most importantly I couldn't stop staring at Nia. My head moving back and forth between the two, trying to figure out how such a sweet girl little could live in a place so large and crude.

I could imagine her chocolate eyes twinkling with amusement. She looked at me with a mischievous grin and placed one hand on the lamp post. I shook my head in disapproval. She gave me a playful smile, "Bok, bok,"

"Real mature, trying to tempt me to do something illegal with childish chicken noises."

"Please Joshy-Poo,"

And that's how I managed to break the next two of the many laws I've came to broken.

An: 7 likes/ 60 views/ 3 comments?