Chapter XVI

Perfect, I grinned; and didn't care what anybody thought. Onyx blew a short staff of fire, I guess he's happy with his name, too. That's good. "We can drop you guys off someplace else it you want. Since it seems like you're on a team."

"Sure, that'd be cool, KK. I want to see if we can cause some trouble for that other team." Tristan ended with a glance at Alyn. He nodded in return "Oh yeah. They stole a dragon from us, revenge is much needed." He remembered my name! I was a bundle of giddy sparklers inside, I tried not to let it show.

Lea asked. "What team?"

"A guy named Andrewlyn and Jennessa. They have no mercy; best not get tangled up with them."

Acacia said, "So you're going to go and mess with them, you're saying." she shook her head. "Yeah, 'cause that sounds smart." with an eye roll.

"I am wrong to get the sense that you can be similar? You look as harmless as Lea over there." Alyn said with a sly smirk.

I opened my mouth now, "She can have an arrow go right through your heart from a couple hundred yards away with her crossbow. And Lea has just as a killer sword that she can wield with the best of them." I held his cool glaze without flinching. I felt Tristan staring at me, I looked back at Onyx in hopes that my cheeks weren't too blushed. "Red as rubies, keeps your blood hot" my grandmother used to say. I still don't know what that means, maybe I will someday.

All of us were still standing beside the great dragon underneath the peaceful, looming trees that shaded the soft ground; they were actually ever so taller than Onyx. I find that amazing, since his size alone is just terrifying. "We should really head out," said Tristan.

I nodded, and looked back up at Onyx who stared down at us. I feel that we humans just shrunk down three feet under his impeccable penetrating gaze. M'lady, thank you for the name; I do like it. I am going to now give a ride for those boys, also? He did not seem pleased with this idea. This was not a part of the negotiation, Kayelana. He lowered his head to look at me, I stepped closer.

"I know, I'm sorry... It would be really quick...? Please? I know I have nothing more to make another deal." I said. I suddenly became hyper-aware that everybody was watching and probably thinking "What is this?!"

He snorted; a puff of grey smoke blew out of his nostrils. You do realize that I am not a carthorse meant to carry people around? He looked ready to launch into the air at any second and leave us behind. So I really didn't want to displease him, that could mean many more bad things.

"I know! I know! I... I'm sorry... I don't really know what else to do." I pleaded. Everything I wanted to accomplish was sipping right through my fingers; I needed Onyx, having his help is the only way I can make my plan work. I bit my lip and ran my fingers through my hair.

You are asking a lot, if you dom't succeed I will be in great danger. Yes, I will fly you silly humans around. I sighed in relief and I felt a smile split across my face. "Thank you, sir! Thank you, my lord! You are the best." I could've hugged him, or even just his nose if nobody else was here. Oh well.

"KK! What's going on?" Lea asked, looking utterly perplexed.

"Oh, Onyx has agreed to give us all a lift, even Tristan and Alyn. Although at first he refused." I quickly "explained".

Onyx lowered his head to the ground and told us, one by one, to climb up (with as much ease and grace as possible) onto his head and the we would slid onto his back, he suggested holding onto the spikier scales for grip. We all did in a timely manner,however whoever was going to be in the back had to get on first since we'd be sitting in reverse order. The boys tried to be cool about it, which I'll give them credit for, but they were shaking about to the idea of riding on top of a dragon.

We dropped them off by a giant, lone pine tree which looked very out of place in this forest. We bid them farewell (I got a wink from Tristan) and Alyn gave Acacia a quick hug. That's so cute... I thought. I had a strange feeling that it was the last time all three of us together saw those two boys.