Chapter One: January

Mia's POV

"Hello Mr. Fallon. My name is Mia Wilson." I say to myself in the mirror. I repeat that saying over and over until it's ingrained into my brain, because, knowing me, I'd be that dumbass that would forget their own name. I smooth out my outfit, a Hillary Clinton like pantsuit, black, and fix my bun. No fly away hairs, not today. I hate buns, because my red hair doesn't look good in it, but I have to look professional. I check one last time and walk to the kitchen.

"Well you look nice." My twin brother, Hunter, says. He smiles at me, but I can tell he's messing with me. If he wasn't three minutes older, I'd kick his ass.

"Hunter, be nice." His wife, Resa, says. "Mia, you look great. Job interview?"

"You can say that. Keith got me this opportunity."

"Wait, Jeb's older brother, Keith?" I feel my breathing hitch in my chest. Anytime anyone really says that name.

"Yeah, that Keith."

"Well don't blow it." She says, giving me a smile. "Jonah, clear a spot for your aunt please." She says, turning to her seven year old son, my nephew. He nods, moving away some books he's reading so I can sit down.

"Hey Mama." My daughter, four year old Sailor, says from across the table.

"Hey little Sailor."

"Jonah's teaching me how to read, see?" She shows me that she's holding a book.

"I see that. Did you tell him thank you?"

"Yeah, I did. He's a good cousin." Hunter sits down at the last remaining spot at the table, and we all eat. Once we're all done, we all get ready to go our separate ways.

"Thank you again, Res. I can't do this without you." I say once Hunter leaves to take Jonah to school. I grab my jacket, pulling it over my shoulders. It's January in New York City, and we're currently in a snowstorm.

"Don't worry about it Mia."

"It's just until we get on our feet, I promise." I say, walking over to ruffle up Sailor's hair. "I love you Sails." I lean down to kiss her head.

"I love you too Mama." She says back. She then turns back to coloring the page Resa printed out. She printed out a whole lot of coloring pages when we moved in with them. Resa wants a little girl. I smile, grabbing my purse and walking out the door.

I'm still trying to get use to the city, a place my brother has called home for close to fifteen years. Me? I've never really had a home, I'm a traveller. My heart can't be cooped, and I still don't know how I feel in love with Jebidiah. I walk to the train station, the one that will take me to, possibly, a new career and a new life for Sailor and I.

Once I find a seat, a place near the back, I grab out my journal. It's helped me a lot. I find my favorite pen, the one that has the company Jeb worked for written on the side, and begin to write.

Dear Jeb,
Hey. I feel like I always start my letters off like that. Hey. Isn't it a weird word? I know what you're thinking, oh hush Mia Grace. My way of looking at the world was different than the way you did. I looked at it in vivid colors, bright colors. You looked at it as a way to hurt our Sailor. You always worried about her, I think your worrying rubbed off on me, because now I worry all the time. Someone's got to do it.
How's Sailor, you ask? She's fine, she loves to color, she still loves boats. I don't think that will ever change. The boat thing, I mean. Hell, we lived on one for the first three years of her life. It's a namesake, so I don't think she'll ever grow out of it. Remember when we sailed the Atlantic, last July? It's a good memory.
I'm on my way to a job interview, I know, I know. Hunter and Resa have been really great to us, but we need to get out on our own.
It still doesn't feel like six months have flown by. I miss you more and more each day.
Love, Mia