Chapter 8: Never Felt This Way

This chapter is a little less serious than the past two. Hope you enjoy!

*****************************************************************************************************************

Audrey

I found myself brushing my hair a lot that evening. Two weeks had passed since the lockdown. In that time, Artemis's eighteenth birthday had passed as well. Now he claimed he was "old." On another note, Artemis wanted to hang out with me that evening. Naturally, I agreed but I thought there might have been an underlying reason for this get-together.

"You're still getting dolled up for Fowl?" my fellow chaser, Pansy Parkinson, asked.

"Dolled up?" I questioned her, sitting my brush down on the vanity. "What makes you say that?"

"You did your make-up, and you've been brushing your hair for the past hour," Pansy answered matter-of-factly. "You don't ever care about how you look, now all of a sudden he asks you to hang out and you're getting all girly."

"Oh like you don't do this every time you and Draco go out," I countered.

She had been dating Draco Malfoy on-and-off since our third year. It was really kind of cute, in an odd way. But I bet it had made Artemis feel like a third-wheel for a long time. She blushed slightly at the mention of Malfoy. She knew I was right.

"So," she changed the topic of discussion, "why do you think he wants to hang out with you?"
"I don't know," I admitted. "He said he just wants to hang out, but I think there could be another reason."

Pansy laughed quietly to herself.

"What's so funny?" I demanded.

"Oh nothing," she sang.

I raised an eyebrow. She knew something I didn't, that was obvious. I shrugged it off. "I'll talk to you later, Pansy. I got to head down to the lake."

She smirked. "Have fun."

I rolled my eyes as I left the girls dormitory and into the common room. I ignored the glances of the other people in the common room as I made my way up to the Great Hall, and eventually outside. The crisp autumn air hit me as soon as I stepped outside. Fall was one of my favorite seasons. It was so beautiful, especially at Hogwarts.

About halfway to the lake, I crossed paths with Nikkie, Harry, Hermione, and Ron. I wanted to hide, but it was too late. I had been spotted. All four of them approached me, stopping about a few steps in front of me.

"Hey Audrey!" Nikkie called out.

I waved slightly. "Hey..."

"What are you doing here?" she asked me.

"Um... going down to the lake," I responded vaguely. "I'm meeting a friend."

I took notice to a stare I was getting from Ron. It was the same stare he gave chicken before demolishing it. I took an involuntary step back, not wanting to meet the same fate as the chicken.

"You look wonderful," he mumbled almost incoherently.

"Thanks?" I responded unsurely. The way he was acting was really starting to creep me out more than he normally did. He kept eyeing me as I turned back to Nikkie.

"You're pretty," Ron replied, reaching towards me, as if he was going to hug me.

"Uh, no you don't! I'm not yours!" I called out, backing up a few more steps. I turned to the rest of the group. "You better get your friend."

"Sorry about that," Nikkie muttered. She and Harry started to walk away, leaving Hermione to drag Ron off.

"Come along, Ronald!" she demanded, pulling Ron by his arm. They followed Nikkie and Harry back towards the castle.