Chapter 2: Why?

I tried to alternate a bit between Audrey and Artemis. I always wanted to write from Artemis' point of view from the moment I read the first book in the real series. His mind is... different from everyone else's so I thought he would be a fun character. I'll always post whose point of view it is before each post, just so you can keep details straight. Hope you enjoy it!

************************************************************************************************************

Artemis

            I had just arrived into the Great Hall along with my cousin and best friend, Draco Malfoy. We were one of the first few inside Hogwarts, as I was Head Boy and it was my duty to lead the first year students to the Great Hall. It was a post I truly didn’t want, but I couldn’t turn it down.

            My seventh and final year at Hogwarts was to be extraordinary. Not only was I Head Boy, but I was also the captain of the Slytherin Quidditch team. Also the best keeper the school had seen in centuries. I don’t know how much better my life could’ve been, even despite my few flaws. I wasn’t even sure how I had gotten so well at Quidditch; sports had never been my thing. I typically lacked proper coordination and athletic ability for most sports, wizarding or not.

            The year’s opening banquet was just about to begin, and all the houses were intermingling. Suddenly, Malfoy stopped. He gestured his head towards the Gryffindor table where Harry Potter stood talking with his girlfriend, a boy, and two other girls. One was a Slytherin. Malfoy started towards the table. Naturally, I followed. He was, after all, my cousin and best friend. I was just positive he was doing this to stir up trouble. It was what he always did.

            “You know, Potter, just because you’re friends with a Slytherin doesn’t make you a part of the family.” And without even waiting for a reply, he walked away laughing. I watched him walk away for a moment before turning to Harry.

            I just shook my head. “I apologize for my cousin,” I offered, throwing in what I hoped was a friendly smile.

            Harry shrugged. “He’s like that all the time,” he assured me, returning my smile.

            “Well you obviously know him,” I said with a gesture of my head, “I’m Artemis Fowl.”

            “Yeah, I know,” Harry replied. “I play Quidditch against you.” He didn’t seem to be too happy about that. It’s not like I played seeker or anything.

            I raised an eyebrow. “And have you won yet?” I challenged, jokingly.

            Harry shrugged. “A few times.”

            “Technically you just beat Malfoy. He is my seeker.”

            “Audrey here is one of your chasers,” Harry’s girlfriend piped up.

            “And you are? She is?” I asked.

            “Oh, I’m Nikkie.” His blonde girlfriend pointed to a girl in Slytherin robes standing next to her. “This is Audrey.”

            I looked Audrey up and down. She did look familiar. “Oh yeah, you’re my good chaser.” I put my hand out. “Pleasure to meet you, Audrey.”  Something in the way she put her hand out told me she was nervous.

            “Pleasure to meet you as well,” she replied with a smile.

            “How long have you been playing?” I asked her.